compact; having a high mass per unit volume; close
certain
unauthorized
dense
outbound

What does black tie affair mean?

turquoise? | Why do we use "with an eye for"?
What does black tie affair mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:32 am   What does black tie affair mean?

ESL/EFL Test #782 "Colors (5)", question 3

My husband and I went to a ......... tie affair on Saturday. It was a very fancy party held at a beautiful hotel. Everyone was dressed in tuxedos and elegant gowns.

(a) red
(b) silver
(c) gold
(d) black

ESL/EFL Test #782 "Colors (5)", answer 3

My husband and I went to a black tie affair on Saturday. It was a very fancy party held at a beautiful hotel. Everyone was dressed in tuxedos and elegant gowns.

Correct answer: (d) black

My husband and I went to a gold tie affair on Saturday. It was a very fancy party held at a beautiful hotel. Everyone was dressed in tuxedos and elegant gowns.
_________________________

What does black tie affair mean.
Mephistopheles

What does black tie affair mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 08, 2009 19:22 pm   What does black tie affair mean?

In traditional rules of etiquette there are varying levels of formal dress. Black tie refers to an event in which men are expected to wear a tuxedo which in its base form includes a black bow tie. A more formal option with a tuxedo is "white tie" which includes a white bow tie and other accessories which may not be worn with the simple tuxedo.
_________________
There's no such thing as an exception to the rule...

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
annual mammagrams vs annual mammogramsDoes Morpheus has anything to do whit morphine - medical drug?Where is the back of the hand?What does check in mean in this sentence?How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?needy vs. selflessWhat does 'in the buff' mean?He saw the writing on the wall?She was not going to go out on a limb for anyone anymore?meaning of "you are an asset to our team"Use the word assignmentWhen to use who or whom?