railing; hedge; ability to argue; person who sells stolen goods
fence
date
commodity
general

Mounting fears among governments

What does "leaving a message" mean? | What does "cache" mean?
Mounting fears among governments #1 (permalink) Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:12 pm   Mounting fears among governments

Test No. incompl/advan-38 "Are You in Debt?", question 10

What concerns people most are the mounting ......... among governments that it will take at least a generation for us to be rid of excessive debt.

(a) frights
(b) fearful
(c) fears
(d) afraid

Test No. incompl/advan-38 "Are You in Debt?", answer 10

What concerns people most are the mounting fears among governments that it will take at least a generation for us to be rid of excessive debt.

Correct answer: (c) fears
_________________________

Hi Alan
Would you please to explain the meaning of the sentence and the word is chosen?
Kelly

Mounting fears among governments #2 (permalink) Tue Oct 25, 2005 15:19 pm   Mounting fears among governments

Hi Kelly,

In this context fears means worries and the whole sentence means: What worries people more and more is that governments believe that it will take us at least 30 years or more until we have finished with owing large sums of money.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Mounting fears among governments #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 25, 2007 13:32 pm   Mounting fears among governments

What concerns people most are ...

why "most" and not "the most" ?

(as in "Ann resembles her father the most")

TIA

Idiom: "got fed up to the back teeth with"What does it mean to 'extend one's house'?What's the meaning of the word "oar"?What's the difference between actually and certainly?Why is "clock didn't go off"?what is the meaning of peak?meaning of the expression "long live the underworld"What does "synthetic lease" mean?What's the difference between 'during' and 'for'?What does 'keep your wig on' mean?meaning of potluckmeaning of flushsleigh vs. sleigh