something taken for granted; going beyond proper bounds; impudent boldness; arrogance
presumption
acumen
radical
candor

What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful...

TOEFL® essay: Students at universities often have a choice of places to live. | IBT on January 22th. Please enter...
What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful... #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 15, 2009 20:05 pm   What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful...

What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful in the world today? Choose one skill and use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.

There are many skills that a person must have to be successful today. Successful is a person who is intelligent, sincere, a hard worker, and along with all these he should definitely be lucky. There are many who have all these and much more but lady luck has been evading them. However , besides all the above qualities it is very essential today that he is skilled in communication in order to be successful.

The advances in communications have shrunk the world. Today with the advent of the internet, communication has not only become cheaper, but also quicker. Communicating with a person across the seas miles away is done instantaneously. One can chat with a international client and finalize a deal in a matter of minutes if one is wise on the operation and the use of computers and the electronic mail. Advertisment of ones company can also be done electronically through websites and web pages.

Similarly, research fellows are successful when they share the data with like minded fellow researchers and work is done in co ordination with each other. Today there are electronic libraries. Earlier, letters would be written which takes days through the postal department at the national level or the international level. The cost would also be as high. If a person is not skillful enough to move with the times, success would be half accomplished. Success in any field does not come to a person who is not known in the society or whose work is not known.

I could give the example of my brothers business client. This person is in the business of travel bags. He has everything in him to gain more success in his business than what he has achieved till today. However he is not wise in communications. He is not even computer literate, hence his success is limited to local business although his products can very easily attract international clients.

Hence I would say that success comes to us when we become popular. We attract positive attention. If we have achieve that, presentation is very important. If we are not able to present ourselves, or project ourselves well, success will always be incomplete.

TOEFL listening lectures: Which designer did not work at the Bauhaus?
Ashahari

What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successfu #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 16, 2009 19:33 pm   What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successfu

There are many skills that a person must have to be successful today. Successful is a person who is intelligent, sincere, a hard worker, and along with all these he should definitely be lucky. There are many who have all these and much more but lady luck has been evading them. However , besides all the above qualities it is MOST essential today that he is skilled in communication in order to be successful.

The advances in communications have shrunk the world. Today with the advent of the internet, communication has not only become cheaper, but also quicker.
Communicating with a person across the seas, MANY miles away is done instantaneously. One can chat with a international client and finalize a deal in a matter of minutes if one is wise IN the operation and the use of computers and electronic mail.
THE AdvertisING of ones company can also be done electronically through websites and web pages.

Similarly, research fellows are successful when they share data with like-minded fellow researchers, and work is done in co ordination with each other.
Today there are electronic libraries. Earlier, letters would HAVE TO be written which takes days through the USUAL postal department at the national level or the international level. The cost would also be as high. If a person is not skilful enough to move with the times, success would ONLY be half accomplished. Success in any field does not come to a person who is not known in society or whose work is not known.

I could give the example of my brother's business client. This person is in the business of travel bags. He has everything in him to gain more success in his business than what he has achieved SO FAR.
However he is not wise in TELE-communications. He is not even computer literate, hence his success is CONFINED SOLELY to local business, although his products can very easily attract international clients.

Hence I would say that success comes to us when we become popular. We attract positive attention. If we have achieveD that, THEN presentation is very important. If we are not able to present ourselves, or project ourselves well, success will always be incomplete.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A very well presented essay.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful... #3 (permalink) Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:07 am   What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful...

Hi Ashahari and Kitos,

I agree with Kitos that this is a very well presented essay. However, after reading it I was a bit confused about using the word "sucessful" in your essay, and I would like you to clarify it.
“Sucessful” is an adjective, but in this sentence “Successful is a person who is intelligent, sincere, a hard worker, and along with all these he should definitely be lucky.” you used the word “successful” as a noun, a subject. Please explain it.
Thank you very much.

Have a good day!
Hoado
_________________
Hoadong
Hoadong

TOEFL® Score + Suggestion neededHow to paraphraze a story?What are some important qualities of a good supervisor (boss)? Use specific detaiThis is the best TOEFL® forumIt has recently been announced that a new restaurant may be built in your neighboIf you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you changIf you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you...?How many reading passages or lectures will they give us in the Ibt exam...?TOEFL® essay: Teacher should be paid equal to their abilityMay you help me in this research: Debating and discussionTOEFL® essay: Do you like to eat at home or eat out?The automobile is the destroying our quality of lifeSome people think that teachers and education professionals should make all of th