to check; to hinder; to hold back; to prevent
writhe
immunize
inhibit
flaunt

Why do you think some people are attracted to dangerous sports or other dangerous

TOEFLŪ essay: Teachers should encourage their students to question everything. | an important skill a person should learn in order to be successful in the world
Why do you think some people are attracted to dangerous sports or other dangerous #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 15, 2009 20:49 pm   Why do you think some people are attracted to dangerous sports or other dangerous

Why do you think some people are attracted to dangerous sports or other dangerous activities? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

In the stone age. People hunted and killed for food and sport. It is the inherent nature of man. An animal kills for food. But man kills for sport too. It is such interest of his that has led to devastating results to nature, animals and man. Man is a superior living creature but his intelligence is many times used wrongly. Initially as civilization evolved, man had to be quite aggressive. Probably it is this aggression that remained deep within him even after life became easier for him.

Man has to always prove himself , to his family . his country men etc. Why else would Columbus have left his country to find a newer route to India? Long ago there wold be bull fights in order to show man’s superiority to beasts. Thankfully it is not in practice today. I am of the opinion that even watching it is a form of beastly behavior. In order to prove himself man has become his own worst enemy. However he still continues to play dangerous sports and watches it to drive up the adrenalin in his blood and feel the high. Wrestling and boxing are sports I would never like to watch. A country may feel the need to show its superior power and may want to elevate itself to being the super power. In order to prove this, it may indulge in dangerous activities. The world War 2 and its destruction has thankfully helped mankind to retrace its steps and think once again.

In the end I would say, an animal kills only if he is hungry, but man kills for pleasure. It is the inherent nature of man. It is probably in our blood.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a professor of American History
Ashahari

Why do you think some people are attracted to dangerous sports or other dange #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 16, 2009 19:23 pm   Why do you think some people are attracted to dangerous sports or other dange

In the Stone Ages, people hunted and killed for food and sport. It is the inherent nature of man. An animal kills for food. But man kills for sport too. It is such interest of his that has led to devastating results to nature, animals and man. Man is a superior living creature, but his intelligence is OFTEN used wrongly. Initially as civilization evolved, man had to be quite aggressive. Probably it is this aggression that remained deep within him, even after life became easier for him.

Man has to always prove himself; to his family AND TO his FELLOW MAN etc.
Why else would Columbus have left his country to find a newer route to India?
Long ago THEY woUld ENGGAGE IN bull-fights in order to show man’s superiority to beasts. Thankfully it is not in practice today.
I am of the opinion that even watching it is a form of beastly behavioUr.

In order to prove himself man has become his own worst enemy. However he still continues to play dangerous sports and ALSO watches it to drive up the adrenalin in his blood and TO feel the high.
Wrestling and boxing are sports I would never like to watch.

A country may feel the need to show its superior power and may want to elevate itself to being the super power.
In order to prove this, it may indulge in dangerous activities.
The SECOND World War, and THE destruction THAT IT BROUGHT ABOUT, has thankfully helped mankind to retrace its steps and think once again.

In the end I would say, an animal kills only if IT is hungry, but man kills for pleasure. It is the inherent nature of man. It is probably in our blood.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not a lot of editing required. Nice.

kitos.
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemRead these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFLŪ essay: Teacher should be paid equal to their abilityTOEFLŪ essay: Before making a decision, it is important to find out if the decisiSome people think that teachers and education professionals should make all of thIt has been said, "Not everything that is learned is contained in books"Which is better to travel outside or to stay in the same country?Some people think that human needs for farmlan...Nowadays food has become easier to prepare. Has this change improved the way...Do you agree or disagree that progress is always good?TOEFLŪ essay: Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers.People attend the college or university for many different reasonsSome people prefer to finish a project completely before starting another.Radio is being placed by TV and InternetObesity essay: The number of obese people is significantly increasing.