sharp stinging pain
ado
prospect
downsizing
smart

How to speak polite English?

BUCK KINGSLEY. | Anyone read or listened to 'The Long Tail' by Chris Anderson?
How to speak polite English? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:37 pm   How to speak polite English?

As a non-native speaker, I feel that I sometimes speak English in such a way that I end up being considered rude eventhough I didn't mean it.
And I think this happens with many English learners. To give an example, may be not using 'please', 'kindly' in your sentences.
My question is, how can one make his/her conversation polite?
Looking forward to your tips, suggestions and opinions.

Deepi
Deepi21

How to speak polite English? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:16 pm   How to speak polite English?

Good afternoon Deepi. I think you are perhaps being a little too sensitive.

Your English appears to be well grounded, and I feel you don't make many mistakes in your conversations with the natives. :-))

Relax, Brits are intelligent enough to differentiate as to whether you are being intentionally rude or not.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
How to speak polite English? #3 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:28 pm   How to speak polite English?

Hello Kitos,

Very Good afternoon.
Many thanks for boosting my confidence, which is almost always low :)
But whenever I watch any English movie, I always get attracted towards thier way of telling everything in a polite way.
I just love to speak like that. And I really don't know how thay phrase sentences like that. Too polite!!

Deepi
Deepi21

How to speak polite English? #4 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 13:43 pm   How to speak polite English?

LOL, we don't all speak like that Deepi. Have a walk around any major city in the UK and you will be flabbergasted at the low level of spoken English.

Many schools today are turning out ...................... sorry, words fail me.

_________________

How to speak polite English? #5 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:53 am   How to speak polite English?

That's unfortunate.
But in every country it is common with this generation itself I think.
Still it is nice to be polite isn't it?
Deepi21

How to speak polite English? #6 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:47 am   How to speak polite English?

"Still it is nice to be polite isn't it?"

Good morning Deepi. Yes, of course it is, and you will find that the majority of people both recognise and appreciate your politeness.

_________________

How to speak polite English? #7 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 am   How to speak polite English?

Yes that is true.
See, you wished me Good Morning (I appreciate it), which I failed to do when I first replied you this morning.
This is where I fail. I should learn all these things and of course, formalities show politeness right?
Deepi21

How to speak polite English? #8 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:17 am   How to speak polite English?

Yes they do, but formalities can be forgiven amongst friends.
I greet everyone in that way from habit developed over many years.

_________________

How to speak polite English? #9 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:27 am   How to speak polite English?

I would love to develop that habit too :)
Deepi21

Very short domain name!Happy New Year from Newcastle. (MUST SEE.)Happy New YearMy new direction.Watching English language TV channels in Europe?Ask for and give advice... Write and talk about whatever you wantFuture Bildung -- more Denglish...Another Denglish phrase used in Germany: Lady-FitnessBig Brother and Denglish?The cost of Xmas.GROWING UP. (Part two.)What kind of machine is this?Message to cheer me up