astute
ocular
perspicacious
irresistible
omniscient

SATŪ vocabulary help. desperate.

SAT Practice tests Increase your SAT test score with
plus 5.000 SAT word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the SATŪ Test
Facebook page for SATŪ Reading practice | SATŪ software that tracks progress/results???
SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 am   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

what's a good book, website, place to get legit SAT vocabulary words to study from. I've seen a lot of books with some words at the end and some kaplan flash cards on amazon and stuff but i don't know if they really help.
Pinkupanku

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 07, 2010 14:38 pm   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

They help, but u need to study hard.. it's easier when u read books... sth like Jane Austen will help..
Taina

SAT Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 1002 free SAT Vocabulary TestsSAT Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise SAT scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportSAT Practice Tests — Learn the most essential SAT vocabulary words you need to pass the SAT with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:11 am   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

When I took the SAT about two years ago there was no vocabulary section. Knowing the roots of words, rather than just memorizing individual ones, is supposed to help.
Ellesbells

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 14, 2010 19:26 pm   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

Like Ellesbells said, there's no actual vocabulary section on the SATs. When they reorganized the test, they replaced the analogies section with an essay and a critical writing section. However, knowing more vocab is always good. Collegeboard (www.collegeboard.com) has lots of good test-prep for free. You can learn vocabulary, in addition to doing practice questions from each of the sections.
J3ess

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #5 (permalink) Sat May 01, 2010 7:29 am   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

Hi, maybe this can be of some help . There's an app for the iphone called Word Champion. I've tried it and its it's little fun app that can be a good studying aid too. The game has a quiz-like interface. You are presented with questions about the defintion or synomym for a word or a phrase, and given several possible solutions. It tells you how many questions you answered correctly, and gives you awards based on your score. When I found this app on the appstore I got it out of curiosity and had a lot of fun with it. It was surprising that it could be such a fun learning tool. This app has been on the Appstore for over a month now. I'm just posting this as it may be of help to original poster and anyone else looking to improve their vocabulary for the writing sections of the SAT.

The app's itunes preview is here:

http://itunes.apple.com/tw/app/word-champion/id366165146?mt=8#

Sorry if this sounds like spam.
Akatosh

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #6 (permalink) Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:48 am   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

Using sites like http://www.vocabcharity.com/ really help to build SAT vocab from experience.

Flash cards and books out there by Kaplan also are nice. Good luck.
Justincase123

Fun vocab book #7 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:00 am   Fun vocab book

Look at Tooth and Nail: A Novel Approach to the SAT. It's actually pretty entertaining and good if you need to cram. Definitely a lot more fun that memorizing lists of words.
Em2375

Re: SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #8 (permalink) Mon Mar 14, 2011 15:26 pm   Re: SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

I've used a software called memowiz (http://www.memowiz.com), a friend of mine recommended it and it was really good!

I took a Kaplan course but they didn't mention that the vocabulary is so important, luckily my friend told me.

The best thing about it is that the software is actually learning your knowledge-level so you get only relevant questions (words you don't know)

I've spent hours playing their stupid game...
JaneyCrocker

Re: SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #9 (permalink) Wed Jun 15, 2011 23:20 pm   Re: SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

direct hit is good book.
Danquing

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #10 (permalink) Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:14 am   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

The best thing you can do is make your own list and your own flashcards! Miriam Holt writes a great article on how to study for the vocab section. Read routinely and every time you don't recognize a word, put it on a card and look it up in a dictionary!

-----

David G. is a SAT Tutor for Parliament Tutors.
Parliamenttutors

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #11 (permalink) Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:10 pm   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

You can also try this video vocabulary

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHTMYDhkut4
Kimberlyp

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #12 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:46 am   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

You can try this new Facebook page for SAT reading / vocab practice. Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/SAT-Reading-Daily-A-Redmond-Labs-Experiment/229735190408959
Vbresp

SAT vocabulary help. desperate. #13 (permalink) Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:48 am   SAT vocabulary help. desperate.

Is it your page?
_________________

Here's a website that can help you #14 (permalink) Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:48 am   Here's a website that can help you

Hey pinkupanku. Try Vocabulary.com. It's free and it's better than any paid vocabulary learning program I've ever heard of. This website will definitely help you improve your vocabulary, and if you ask me it's fun.

Glad to help,

- Nick
Briananode

ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the SATŪ Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on SAT Test Forums
SATŪ score delayCan you score my SATŪ essay,pleaseCan you score my SATŪ essay,pleaseIs growth necessary for a happy and productive life?SATŪ question of the day vocabulary wordsSelling actual SATŪ practice tests!Check for my SATŪ essayHow study SatŪ math on phones?where to take SATŪFree SATŪ books help you prepare for your testSATŪ VocabSATŪ essay practice, can you please evaluate this essay?SATŪ Prep Resource Created by a 2400 Student!