Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

base; foot; seat of a chair
interviewee
piece
machine
bottom
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is there any difference between book and reserve?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
L.Armstrong and E.Fitzgerald song | American English
listening exercisestell a friend
Is there any difference between book and reserve? #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:03 pm   Is there any difference between book and reserve?

Hi There.

Is there any difference between book and reserve?

Thanks for you .
Hussam Alashqar

Is there any difference between book and reserve? #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:22 pm   Is there any difference between book and reserve?

The words "reserve" and "book" have many meanings depending on the context they're used in. But, when they mean: arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance, there's no difference in the meaning.

I hope this answers your question.

CHeeRz
Chiquitita

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Is there any difference between book and reserve? #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:30 pm   Is there any difference between book and reserve?

Thanks a lot for your quick response but in another forum I found this :

'book' indicates that something has been confirmed and paid for, whereas 'reserve' is less definite - you can make a reservation with a small deposit or with no deposit.

For example, in respect to a holiday, a person can reserve a hotel for a small amount, however the holiday is not confirmed until a further partial or full payment is received, at which point the holiday is booked and confirmed.

That said however, it really depends on the context of the situation, as if I was calling a restaurant I would probably ask to book a table rather than make a reservation.
Hussam Alashqar

Is there any difference between book and reserve? #4 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:42 pm   Is there any difference between book and reserve?

Well, as far as I know, they both mean the same thing in this context regardless of "payment".

thefreedictionary.com defines "to book" as, and I'm quoting, "To arrange for (tickets or lodgings, for example) in advance; reserve."
I believe you can actually "reserve" a table.

Thanks for sharing.

CHeeRz
Chiquitita

yes it is: #5 (permalink) Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:59 am   yes it is:

Hi,

Yes their is difference between book and reserve.

Book-to register something

Reserve- Something kept back or saved for future use or a special purpose

Thanks
Nitikasnv3
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Is there any difference between book and reserve? #6 (permalink) Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 am   Is there any difference between book and reserve?

We booked a room some years ago, it didn't suppose any payment.

Is there any difference between book and reserve? #7 (permalink) Wed Jan 13, 2010 15:15 pm   Is there any difference between book and reserve?

v. booked, book·ing, books
v.tr.
1. To list or register in or as if in a book.
a. To record charges against (a person) on a police blotter.
b. Sports To record the flagrant fouls of (a player) for possible disciplinary action, as in soccer.
3. To arrange for (tickets or lodgings, for example) in advance; reserve.
4. To hire or engage: The manager booked a magic show for Saturday night.
5. To allocate time for.

re·serve (r-zûrv)
tr.v. re·served, re·serv·ing, re·serves
1. To keep back, as for future use or for a special purpose.
2. To set or cause to be set apart for a particular person or use. See Synonyms at book.3. To keep or secure for oneself; retain: I reserve the right to disagree. See Synonyms at keep.

(thefreedictionary.com)

I reserve Mondays for tidying my desk and answering letters.
These seats are reserved for the elderly and women with babies.
I reserve judgment on this issue (= I won't give an opinion on it now) until we have more information.
If you reserve something such as a seat on an aircraft or a table at a restaurant, you arrange for it to be kept for your use
I reserved a double room at the Lamb Hotel.
[+ two objects] If you get there early, reserve me a seat/reserve a seat for me.

book verb (ARRANGE)
/bʊk/ v
[I or T] to arrange to have a seat, room, performer, etc. at a particular time in the future [+ two objects] I've booked us two tickets to see 'Carmen'/I've booked two tickets for us to see 'Carmen'.
She'd booked a table for four at their favourite restaurant.
Will booked a seat on the evening flight to Edinburgh.
We were advised to book early if we wanted to get a room.
They booked a jazz band for their wedding.
The hotel/restaurant/theatre is fully booked (up) (= all the rooms/tables/tickets have been taken).
I'd like to go but I'm afraid I'm booked up (= I have arranged to do other things) until the weekend.
(dictionary.cambridge.org)

CHeeRz,
Chiquitita
(Nonnative English Speaker)

Is there any difference between book and reserve? #8 (permalink) Thu Jan 14, 2010 14:19 pm   Is there any difference between book and reserve?

In all my dictionaries they are given as synonyms :)

L.Armstrong and E.Fitzgerald song | American English
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
How do you translate 'SMS Massenversand'?How would you translate Ihre Free Test SMS?"will" and "be going to"my cell vs. my mobile?Computer English: start date cannot be greater than end dateI have just 'come' home from schoolwant + gerund or infinitive (advanced)Asking for an interviewUsing "Do"Second conditional: If my sister didn't live abroad, we could see her more thanNext weekend and this weekendhands on vs. hands offParts of speech: They have no wine left...