to pierce through with; to stick on; to pin down; to stab
admonish
abandon
impeach
impale

TOEFL® essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

Improving schools is the most important factor in successful development of count | TOEFL® essay: Do you agree or disagree with school uniform?
TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 10, 2010 17:38 pm   TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

Good moning. i recently try to write some essay to pratice my written English. Below is one of my essay and would you please help me to check if there is some thing wrong with it.
Thanks a lot!

Topic: talk about the good and bad experience in english learning.

I have the background of learning English over twelve years befor I came to Canada, but when I first entered this country, I found that I could barely say a word. Later, after I have spent several months in learning english at school, I look back at the past 12 years of english learning, and find out there are some good ways and bad ways in learning it.

In my hometown, the score of English test is pretty important. It could lead to the result that if you could assest the higher grade or not. Students always focus on writing and reading, for the english exam doesn’t include spoken english, and they seldom have the opportunity to speak. Despite more than ten years of English learning, me and my classmates are hard to speak. We usually use the sentence leaned from the textbook. If somebody said the sentence in a different way, I would have no idea how to respone in english. The more I afraid of mistakes the more I didn’t dare to speak. This lead to my first time came to canada lacked of the courage to speak to people. I believe that learning English should be comprehensive, and not just focus on writing and reading. In modern society, speak is a significant way of communication. The one who can get a high score in english test but could not speak correctly and fluently, is not the one that actually good at english.

After I have been in Canada, How to improve my listening and spoken english has become a main issue. My teacher suggest me to learn from watching sitcoms. At first time, I see it with subtitles, and then I read the scripts. If there were some good sentences, I would write down and recite. In addition, I tried to use these sentence when I communicated with others. After learning the script, I will see the sitcom without subtitles again and again to pratice my listening. A few months later, I progressed in listening and spoken english. Besides, I have been insisted on listening to CBC NEWS on the radio everyday. At first, I could not grasp what they were talking about. Gradually, I could fit into the conversation.

In order to expand my amount of new words, I recited the words in the dictionary everyday When I was in high shool, and I gave up before long. It was boring and difficult to recite the words without using them. Later, I found a small software from Internet which could provide a game on spelling the word based by the given explaination. I memorize 30 words a day, and use this software for testing.

These are my experiences aobutt good ways and bad ways of english learning. Englishas a language should be used rather than doing exercises to cope with the exams. There is a saying: use it or lose it, I think this is the best way to lean english.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why is herring healthier for us than tuna?
Nichole

TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 10, 2010 18:01 pm   TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

"We usually use the sentence leaned from the textbook. If somebody said the sentence in a different way, I would have no idea how to respone in english. The more I afraid of mistakes the more I didn’t dare to speak."

And this is a classic example of the folly in learning English from educational text books, because they are so limited in their content.
This reinforces my opinion about reading newspapers because different topic writers write in different ways, and so your brain begins to assimilate the differences, yet readily recognises the "sameness."

My dear Nichole, do not despair for you have come to the ideal place to learn English. Here you will find hundreds of essays all saying similar things in completely different ways. What a wonderful solution to your problem!

Stay here and rid yourself of all your problems. You are amongst friends here, who will encourage and support you through your difficulties.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning #3 (permalink) Sun Jan 10, 2010 18:17 pm   TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

Hi,Kitos~~~~~~~I am so suprised that I got the reply so quickly. Thank you so much for your coach. I have noticed this place for months and didnt get the courage to regist.
Now i finally made up my mind to write some essay. I could feel the friendly atmosphere here and will work hard in learning English.
Anyway, thanks again~~~
Nichole

TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning #4 (permalink) Sun Jan 10, 2010 18:35 pm   TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

Welcome to ESL-test net ... THE place to be.
_________________

TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning #5 (permalink) Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:53 am   TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

got it.

i will check it out. thanks. :)
Nichole

essay for correction #6 (permalink) Tue Aug 24, 2010 14:02 pm   essay for correction

I am an English learner,Can you tell me how can I send the essay for correction.
Deeptiumar

essay for correction #7 (permalink) Tue Aug 24, 2010 14:19 pm   essay for correction

Simply click "New Topic" at the top left of the thread. WELCOME.
_________________

TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning #8 (permalink) Wed Aug 25, 2010 15:44 pm   TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

It was goog i want to continue with you,i hope it helps me to improve my essay.i am not good in writing.
thank you
Ra21

TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning #9 (permalink) Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:20 am   TOEFL essay: The good and bad experience in English learning

I took the TOEFL test on July 23, 2010. Today, it is August 28, 2010 and I still didn't receive my paper score. Normally, the scores arrive in 28 days, so probably my score is lost. The reason is TOEFL sends the paper scores via insecure mailing service instead of a registered mail (which proof of delivery is mailed to the sender). Although, the scores are very important, the customer service doesn't assist you effectively. if you try to tell your problem to the customer service via e-mail, they answer you with almost automated responses without taking your e-mails into consideration and replying your e-mail can take 3-4 business days. They charge you 17$ to send the scores again. Even though you indicate that the situation is urgent, they say "it takes 7 business days to mail the scores". Moreover, they say "delivery can take up to 4 weeks for international mail delivery". I need the TOEFL test for student visa application and now, I may miss it and this will cause me to lose my chance to pursue my education in a very reputable university in UK. I regret not to take IELTS instead of TOEFL IBT.
TOEFLvictim

A lower-paying job with shorter hours that would give you more vacation time is bSports teach people lessons about lifeNew essay from me. Please give me feedback. ^_^Preparing for IELTSDo you prefer handmade or machine made product?(please kindly rate it.)fiction or non-fiction books?Can anyone help me with this essay? Please give some advice :) Thank youHow to get rid of he/she, his/her, him/her, himself/herself?emend my essayreasons for smokinga issue about jobTOEFL® ESSAY #2: Living in a big city or small city?Younger school children(ages from five to ten) should be required to study art an