sincerity; honesty; openness
jargon
candor
facade
microcosm

Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not

Everybody has dreams about college. People have their own preferences to go... | Newpapers have huge influence in ppl's opinions, why? Do u think it's positive...
Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 10, 2010 19:58 pm   Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not

Do you agree or disagree with following statement? Parent or other adult relatives should make important decisions for their older (15- to 18-year-old) teenage children. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Decisions

Many parents nowadays, started to make decisions for their teenage children. Others, still give the opportunity for the children to make decisions on their own and to be responsible among themselves. In my view, I prefer for children to make all important decisions on their own for the following reasons.

First, teenage children’s (15- to 18-years-old) usually had reached puberty and became mature enough both physically and mentally, as there brains had developed enough. Therefore, parents should give their children the opportunity to try how to make decisions on their own. This is because; when children’s goes for education in universities in different country’s than the country that his parents, there is a big possibility that the child will live alone and there might no one that could help him to make or to decide on his important decisions.

Second, children’s from fifteen to eighteen years old like to have some privacy in their lives and to live in the way and style that they like to live. Also, when parents make important decisions for their child then there is also a possibility that the child will not be convinced by his parent’s decisions. For instance, when a child needs to decide for which county to travel for education his parents might decide for him to go for Paris, but the child might want to go to Canada so that he wouldn’t miss his friends that he had in the school. As a result, the child might not work hard to achieve his parent’s aims, as he will not be motivated and convinced with them.

In conclusion, In order to give birth for developed generations in the future, parents should give at least their kids the chance to decide certain significant decisions on their own, to prevent any of the problems mentioned above. As the child will then get motivated enough to work hard to become better, as he will be more confident with the decisions that he took by his own.

TOEFL listening lectures: What aspect of USA Today does the professor mainly discuss?
Emilly

Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not #2 (permalink) Mon Jan 11, 2010 14:55 pm   Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not

could you also please give me some of the advices to improve my writting abilities in a short time, as my exam is in the end of febraury.

thanks in advance
Emilly

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemLearn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not #3 (permalink) Mon Jan 11, 2010 16:05 pm   Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not

Decisions

Many parents nowadays, make decisions for their teenage children. Others, still give the opportunity for the children to make decisions on their own and to be responsible FOR DOING SO. In my view, I prefer for children to make all important decisions on their own for the following reasons.

First, teenage children’s (15- to 18-years-old) HAVE usually reached puberty and HAVE became mature enough both physically and mentally, as THEIR brains HAVE developed enough. Therefore, parents should give their children the opportunity to try to make decisions on their own.
This is because; when children go for education TO universities in A different country than the country OF THEIR parents, there is a big possibility that the child will live alone, and there might BE no-one that could help him/HER to make or to decide on important decisions.

Second, children from fifteen to eighteen years old like to have some privacy in their lives and to live in the way and style that they like to live.
Also, when parents make important decisions for their child then there is also a possibility that the child will not be convinced by ITS parent’s decisions. For instance, when a child needs to decide which county to travel TO for ITS education his parents might decide for him/HER to go for Paris, but the child might want to go to Canada so that IT would NOT miss ITS friends that IT had in school.
As a result, the child might not work hard to achieve his parent’s aims, as HE/SHE will not HAVE beEN motivated and convinced BY them.

In conclusion, in order to give HOPE FOR LATER generations in the future, parents should at least give their OFFSPRING the chance to decide certain significant decisions on their own, to prevent any of the problems mentioned above. The child will then get motivated enough to work hard to become better, as he/SHE will be more confident with the decisions that IT took ON his/HER own.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't like this one Emilly, not one little bit. A boring subject, written without any real interest. You can do MUCH better than this. 5/10.

_________________

Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not #4 (permalink) Mon Jan 11, 2010 17:22 pm   Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not

Hi Emily
When you are writing your exam?
I am writing on 13th feb.
All the best.
Keep writing then you will be succeed
Good luck
Happy studies.
Radhichaitu

Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not #5 (permalink) Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:43 am   Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not

Should parents allow their children to make decisions or not?

Parents have a critical role in their childrens life. From day one, and so on they have been responsible for their chilldrens needs. They are also incharge of making important decisions while they are still in the developing stage. Although in my opinion I believe that as soon as the child gets old enough, parents should let them decide for themselves, but, as parents they can always be there for guidance.

The first reason why I think that parents needs to let the children decide for themselves is because it would serve as practice. They should realize that they won't be there forever to take care of their children, that is why they need to train them to be responsible while they are still young. They cannot pass all of the knowledge that they have learned from experience, but they can give them the liberty of making decisions at a younger age while they are still there to guide them. In this way it will also make the parents confident that they are preparing their children to a more difficult life ahead.

The second reason why parents should let children decide for themselves is because I think it would bridge the gap from being dependent to becoming independent. If the parents keeps on deciding for their child everytime, they would never acquire the sense of self. They will always rely on them for every choice in their life no matter how big, or small it is. If this happens, the children will never get pass their being dependent. It will never end, this dependency will linger forever. They will always rely for somebody else to make decisions for them which is not good once they are old enough.

Finally, the last reason why I think parents should not always decide for their children is because it won't actually help them. If the child is not allowed to make a choice for himself, it might have a negative effect which can later be blamed to the parents. I remember my eldest sister who was forced to study a degree that she didn't really like, yet, still, she pursued to study that because my parents want it. In the end, it so happens that she got a hard time passing the board exams. She took it thrice, but with no success. Afterwhich, she retaliated and blame my parents for making her do what she doesn't want to do. As a result, both parties neglect what happened. My parents felt bad about her, and felt guilty of what they did. My sister, however, loose all her hope and gave up trying.

In conclusion, I believe that parents are just guardians who should guide their children everytime. They should make sure that they are preparing their children as they grow old, to nurture the sense of independence on them, and finally they should not intervene with what the children wants to achieve in life.
Gloridae

Damage of the environmentTOEFL® essay: The qualities that supervisor (Boss) should have.How do we decide on the level of risk that we take voluntarily?One long vacation each year or several short vacations?TOEFL® essay: Technology help people to learn more and quickly. Agree or disagree.People are never satisfied with what they have; they always want something moreWhere I can get books to prepare for TOEFL® listening section?TOEFL®: What type of reading do you enjoy most?GLORIDAE. -- Do people always want more than they have?Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not neeHow to be qualifiedDo people always want more than they have?How to give the best outline for our TOEFL® essay!