doubtful; not reliable; ambiguous
appropriate
uncertain
congruent
house

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

but not before | Another question on comma stops
I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2004 19:06 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

Hello again:)

Many times while reading a book I encountered a phrase sounding more or less :" I have yet to meet her"; "I have yet to do this or that".
I understand the meaning but I was wondering about the form, I mean is it mainly a written English or would it sound ok if I used it in speech?

Is there any other form that could be a substitute to this one?

Thank you in advance:)
NewNyorker

I have yet to meet her #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2004 21:25 pm   I have yet to meet her

Hi NewNyorker, How are things in NN? :)
The phrase I have yet to meet her is often used in a romantic context, that means, that the author thinks he will find his love eventually.
As for spoken English, I have yet to do this is probably more common.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The space shuttle

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Thanks Torsten:) #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2004 21:40 pm   Thanks Torsten:)

Many thanks for your reply.

Things are great over here, although it's sooo humid. How are things in Europe?

Where in Europe are you from? I'm planning on visiting my family in July--I moved here from Europe last summer.

Thanks again,

Oty
NewNyorker

European countries #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2004 21:57 pm   European countries

So what European country are you from then? As you know Alan lives in England and Slava and me are now in Germany.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Big cranes

:) #5 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2004 22:03 pm   :)

I'm from Poland. And I've never been to Germany although so many people I know have:)
I think I read the other day that you know some Polish and you have been there, is that true?

I just got accepted to a college here and I'm starting in September so I think I'll be seeking help on the forum more often:)

Oty
NewNyorker

Speaking Polish #6 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2004 22:08 pm   Speaking Polish

Hi Oty,

Pleased to meet you. It's good that to explore Europe because of its cultural diversity. Now that Poland is part of the EU it's even easier to travel there and of course it makes sense to try to say some basic things in Polish although I have met many people in Poland who speak English or even German fluently.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A super highway

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #7 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 13:24 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

I think it is too late to discus the use of "yet" but I really wanna know, if you don't mind. If the sentences are negative how the "yet" can be use? thanks
Rinaprasetyani

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #8 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:18 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

It is like this: I haven`t fed my dog yet.
Sandy1

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #9 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:26 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

Actually Sandy, that's a different form.

'I have yet to feed my dog.' is a different form than 'I haven't fed my dog yet.'

The meanings are very close, but there is an added meaning in the first one. I'm pretty sure it's a mood, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.

That form have + yet + infinitive is the only form like it in the English language.

There is no negative form of 'have yet to'
_________________
There's no such thing as an exception to the rule...

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #10 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:36 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

I know that..I wrote that because Rinaprasetyani asked how th use yet in a negative sentences?
Oxford,is it right to say I wrote or I sould write I have writen?????????
Sandy1

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #11 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:43 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

The choice is actually between 'I wrote' and 'I had written', not 'have written' (it's a very common mistake to confuse that usage)

In this case you could use both. I wrote provides the ability to express the least amount of information as that combination of tense and aspect is used to simply refer to a verb in the past with no reference to whether it was completed or has duration or anything else.

I had written (the perfect of that same aspect) is used to express a verb that is finished or completed as of a time in the past (before now).

If I had to choose an ideal form, I would say 'I had written' would be best, but no one would misunderstand if you had said 'I wrote'.
_________________

OxfordBlues

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #12 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 19:54 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

SO if I want to tell you I understand you,I can say I got it or I had gotten it,it is the same right?
Sandy1

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #13 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 20:01 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

Actually you would probably just say 'I get it' or 'I've got it' (which is present tense). Both of these forms are present simple. They just provide the information that it's true at the time you are speaking. They don't reference the 'getting it' being completed because it is assumed that your understanding of this subject continues and thus does not end (which the perfect would imply).
_________________

OxfordBlues

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #14 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 20:11 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

Thanks a lot.
You have just helped me in the most issue that annoying me in learning english.
Sandy1

I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that) #15 (permalink) Sat Dec 19, 2009 20:36 pm   I have yet... (I have yet to meet her, I have yet to do this or that)

no problem ;)
_________________

OxfordBlues

Revising of a document 2: The firm assigns and the worker accepts to perform...Correct usage: It is still time for your to talk to your employees.revising of a documentIs It Right? Should we use III form of the Verb after Be?Restrictive/Nonrestrictive clauses practiceparallel structureDensityPlease help by telling the meaning.How to use 'should, must, have to'?tight smile?Delivery personIncident report?How to use "than"