Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

apparatus; appliance; gadget; trick; scheme
van
site
endorsement
device
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'Like to' and 'Like + - ing'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
cartful/cartf ull ... basketful/basket full ... cartload/cart load | ...and he has each and every time that she's had a court appearance
listening exercisestell a friend
'Like to' and 'Like + - ing' #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 07, 2005 0:15 am   'Like to' and 'Like + - ing'

Hello!
I would like to know in which cases do we use like + to and like + ing. can we say:
I like to play football.
I like playing football.

do the sentences have the same meaning?
vanesa

Like/to like+ing #2 (permalink) Mon Nov 07, 2005 0:55 am   Like/to like+ing

Hi Vanesa,

Have a look at this answer I gave the other week:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Spearhead,

Unfortunately there are verbs that can take either, others can only be followed by the infinitive and yet again verbs followed by the gerund only. Life is difficult! I would however recommend a grammar book originally published some 45 years ago and still available: A Practical English Grammar by A J Thomson and A V Martinet published by Oxford University Press, in which you will find the lists of verbs and also lots of other useful information. The general difference between infinitive and gerund after verbs that can take either is that the infinitive is often specific and the gerund often general. Compare these two:

I like swimming.
I like to swim when the weather is really hot.

Hope this helps.

In your question the same would apply: I like to play football is more specific than I like playing football but the meaning is roughly the same.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Infinitive vs Gerund #3 (permalink) Tue Nov 08, 2005 20:41 pm   Infinitive vs Gerund

Hello, Alan!

if I have understood you correctly, infinitive underlines the fact, whereas gerund emphasizes on the process. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

'Like to' and 'Like + - ing' #4 (permalink) Wed Jul 21, 2010 23:38 pm   'Like to' and 'Like + - ing'

Hi Sidle Jinks,

As Alan said, 'like to swim' is more specific and is followed by additional information while 'like swimming' indicates a more general preference.

TOEIC listening, photographs: People with suitcases
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

cartful/cartf ull ... basketful/basket full ... cartload/cart load | ...and he has each and every time that she's had a court appearance
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
to TorstenHow Manyth/WhichIdiomsHow to use the word neverthelessnovice at/in/to?WrittingRespect your bodyIt or that?Ukraine v.s. the Ukrainediscuss syrupPunctuating lettersDifference between learning & studyingWithout doubt vs. Without a doubt