emphasizing minutiae or form in scholarship or teaching; strict; meticulous
pedantic
civil
ambiguous
adverse

Essay: cross-cultural marriage

Please help me correct this sentence! | Please check my essay!!! Thank you a lot!
Essay: cross-cultural marriage #1 (permalink) Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 am   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

Hi, I'm back again...this time, i tried to make the essay for no more than 30 mins so that i could have 10 mins to check my writing.. please read and comment

Nowadays, many people from different nationalities and cultures get married together. What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nowadays, cross-cultural marriage has become a common trend in society. Globalization, in my opinion, is nevertheless one of the primary causes that contribute to the occurrence of this phenomenon. People in in the world are no longer isolated from their geographical locations and cultures. However, one might ask whether cross-cultural and international marriage always beneficial. In the following paragraphs, I will discuss this is issue in terms of its advantages and disadvantages.

From the one side, international marriage can reduce the gap that exist in both cultures. This gap is reduced because people from different cultures and nationalities have opportunity to understand each other in a very objective way. Moreover, understanding other culture will demolish all the negative stereotypes that people perceived in their minds. Furthermore, when people are able to understand one another, i believe it will result to a better and peaceful world.

From other side, however, we should also realize the fact that cross-cultural and international marriage can create several problems. In a case where a couple is originated from totally two different cultures and religious beliefs, it can produce conflict, both internal and external. We often see the case where a husband or a wife is being removed from his or her family circle, simply because he or she decided to marry someone who comes from other culture that has strong attachment to certain religious belief. For example, a marriage between Italian woman, who comes from a strong Catholic culture, and a middle-east man who possess strong Islamic background as we know it. Additionally, international marriage sometimes forces one side of the couple to leave his or her family and home country in order to follow his or her other half.

In conclusion, I believe that cross-cultural marriage has both advantages and disadvantages. One should have strong commitment and, most importantly, approval from their family and relatives to minimize the disadvantages.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

your comment and suggestion will definitely improve my confidence.
thank you

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social sciences class (2)
Vendetta82

Essay: cross-cultural marriage #2 (permalink) Wed Jan 20, 2010 13:06 pm   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

Nowadays, cross-cultural marriage has become a common trend in society. Globalization, in my opinion, is nevertheless one of the primary causes that contribute to the occurrence of this phenomenon.
People in the world are no longer isolated from their geographical locations and cultures.
However, one might ask whether cross-cultural and international marriage always beneficial. In the following paragraphs, I will discuss this issue in terms of its advantages and disadvantages.

From the one side,/ON THE ONE HAND/ international marriage can reduce the gap that existS in both cultures.
This gap is BEING reduced because people from different cultures and nationalities have THE/AN opportunity to understand each other in a very objective way.

Moreover, understanding other cultureS will demolish all the negative stereotypes that people perceive in their minds.
Furthermore, when people are able to BETTER understand one another, (I) believe it will result IN a better and MORE peaceful world.

From THE other side however, we should also realize the fact that cross-cultural and international marriage can create several problems.
In a case where a couple HAVE originated from two totally different cultures and religious beliefs, it can produce conflict, both internal and external.

We often /see/HEAR OF/ the case where a husband or a wife is being removed from his or her family circle, simply because he or she decided to marry someone who comes from ANother culture that has strong attachment to certain religious beliefS.
For example, a marriage between AN Italian woman, who comes from a strong Catholic culture, and a middle-east man who possess A strong Islamic background.

Additionally, an /INTERRACIAL/international/ marriage sometimes forces one side of the couple to leave his or her family and home country in order to follow his or her other half.

A very well-crafted essay Vendetta. Difficult to express a neutral position, but you managed to do so. Well done.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Essay: cross-cultural marriage #3 (permalink) Wed Jan 20, 2010 13:15 pm   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

thank you Kitos....though i still find some minor mistakes such as placing the article and preposition..(probably because my mind is faster than my hand writing)....however, i can feel that i am very much improving gradually, thanks to your constructive comments
Vendetta82

Essay: cross-cultural marriage #4 (permalink) Wed Jan 20, 2010 21:30 pm   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

Thanks to the evolution of sciences and technologies, we are nowadays able to travel easily. Therefore, there are more foreigners in each country than there were one century ago and lots of “just married” couples are from different nationalities. Although it can be difficult to understand each other’s culture at first, mixed marriages seem to be, to me, a cultural wealth for a family.

Getting married with someone from a different country can be at first a difficult experience : one has to leave his/her country and family, to fly to another country, s/he has to learn a different language and get used to a completely new culture whereas the other one has to introduce his foreign partner to the rest of the family. And sometimes, the family seems to be a bit reluctant to welcome this foreign new member because they can’t communicate or because they know stereotypes about his/her country.

But, this period of adaptation is also a big chance to share cultures and discover new things, because the world is not limited to one’s home country. A Chinese woman, moving to France to marry a French man might enjoy discovering French cooking or a German man, moving to Argentina, might be pleased to learn the Spanish language. Therefore, mixed marriages are an opportunity to open one’s mind, put apart stereotypes and just discover other customs. If the couple has children, they will be “richer” – culturally speaking – than other children because they will speak two languages or celebrate different holidays and they will feel concern about the two countries. For example, as a French and Moroccan girl, I care about both countries and I am proud to say that I am a "cross-cultural girl”, even if, sometimes, depending on the context, it would be better to hide one of the origin (for example : when there are riots in one of the country about another country, or during wars).

After an adaptation, that might be difficult in the beginning, marriages between persons from different nationalities are a beautiful thing and are the sign that mankind is growing better : few decades ago, it was not possible for German people to marry Jews or for White people to marry Black people in the United States.
Suspensi0n

Location: Paris, France

Essay: cross-cultural marriage #5 (permalink) Wed Jan 20, 2010 21:57 pm   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

Hi Suspensi0n,

You are really improving my friend, nice job! just a few mistakes. Note that, this sentence doesn't belongs to conclusion part:
'few decades ago, it was not possible for German people to marry Jews or for White people to marry Black people in the United States.'
It's an example and the examples are used for developing the reasons in body paragraphs. But, your writing has been completely reformed, and that's great. For criticizing and correcting, I suggest you to post it on an independent topic.

Mixmixi
_________________
Let's make a deal; I'll correct every single one of your grammatical mistakes AND YOU DO THE SAME FAVOUR FOR ME.
Mixmixi

Location: A better place to be

Essay: cross-cultural marriage #6 (permalink) Wed Jan 20, 2010 22:03 pm   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

Thanks for your suggestion to post it on an independant topic, I am new here so I don't know how I should do.
And thank you for encouraging me.
I know what's wrong with the sentence 'few decades ago, it was not possible for German people to marry Jews or for White people to marry Black people in the United States.' and I know why I wrote it in the conclusion : it is because in France, in the conclusions of our essays, we have to bring the "conversation" or the "debate" to another topic and suggest another debate. But clearly, the French students are the only one to do that, so I'll stop doing it :)
Thanks a lot mixmixi you are very helpful. I'm sure gained 5 points thanks to you like !
Suspensi0n

Location: Paris, France

Essay: cross-cultural marriage #7 (permalink) Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:46 am   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

I am glad my friend that you are finding the path and I am sure you will be better.

Mixmixi
_________________
Mixmixi

Location: A better place to be

Essay: cross-cultural marriage #8 (permalink) Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm   Essay: cross-cultural marriage

Hi guys,

since you're discussing in cross-cultural relationships I would like to ask you for paticipation in my research, which is the basis for a Master's thesis at the University of Warsaw.

It is directed to all people who have ever been in an intimate relationship with a partner for at least 5 months, regardless of gender, nationality or age, but I would especially be happy if people who have ever been in a cross-cultural reletionship could fill it out (since there are less of such people and they are more difficult to find).

It is anonymous and takes up to 15 min.

Here comes the link:
http://relationships.i-test.pl/

Thank you so much if you decide to fill it out! :)

Martyna
Student0909

Is someone so kind as to correct my first essay?another essay. Please check this! Thanks :)Will you please read my Toefl® essay and correct if necessary??CAN YOU PLEASE READ MY TOEFL® ESSAY AND CORRECT IF NECESSARY???PRETTY PLEASE ??please check and rate my essay .I appreciate your help!essay number two: please rateEssay number one: please rate[essay] Please help me check and rate my essay. Thank you very much.please check my compare and contrast essay. I appreciate your advise.TOEFL® reading and listening practice - article about VietnamIELTS Task 2 Essay WritingPlease review and rate my essay. Thank you! I really need your advice&News is playing a vital role in our life today...Please test..Thank you very much