filthy; base; vile; foul; dirty
extemporaneous
sordid
ascetic
celestial

Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising

A university education should be provided free of charge to all interested schola | University students should be considered customers, and if they do not like...
Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 am   Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising

Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising and not the real needs of the society in which they are sold.

To what extent do you agree with these views?
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.

Nowadays, there are lots of advertisements on television or on the streets. Some people think that the advertising boosts the sales of goods and it encourages people to buy things unnecessarily. This arguments may be true. In my country, many advertising companies produce advertisements with famous and popular actors or singers. People, especially youngsters, buy goods that their favourite singer advertise, although they do not really need the products.

Also, on the television screen, a product may look gorgeous and good quality. As a result of it, people often buy goods without enough consideration. Consumers may not actually need it but they buy goods impulsively soon after they watch the advertising. Furthermore, as many customers buy a particular product due to its advertising campaign, the other people may be affected by the trend, even if the product is not of the real needs of the society.

On the other hand, there are various aspects against these arguments. Moreover, it is people's choice to make a decision to buy goods. Advertising may be not a cause of customers' buying habits. Individuals have their own spending habits. If they have got enough disposable Income then the right to mane a decision’s given to them. No one actually can fudge whether the goods sold are the real needs of the society or not.

In addition, as there should be a limited amount of disposable income consumers are able to spend, people try to allocate their budgets. They cannot be simply swayed by those advertisements.

In conclusion, as customers have their own strong opinions and standard of good quality goods, it’s better to leave them to make their own decision in buy goods. It’s fairly difficult to say everyone’s swayed by advertising and buy good impulsively. However, in sensitive area of businesses such as toy industries, it may be necessary to band advertising to those children as children have not got enough ability to control themselves or to know what they need.

TOEFL listening discussions: How long has the young man been drinking alcohol?
Samiralbayati

Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 14:51 pm   Today the high sales of popular consumer goods reflect the power of advertising

Not bad, but by a different author methinks!
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHave you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
fdfs f dfsfsdfs - What was that?whether students should study together or aloneTOEFL® essay - A person you know is planning to move to your town or city...Would you prefer to live in a traditional house or in a modern apartment buildingTOEFL® essay - A friend of yours has received some money and plans to use...Prevention is better than cure...In most countries multinational companies and their products are becoming more...Advertising can tell a lot about a countryPlease help TOEFL® scoring my speakingShould wealthy nations be required to share their wealth among poorer nations...Universities should give the same amount of money to their students' sports...IELTS essay: the talking part by both young genders in six different kinds of...There are to many injuries in professional Hockey...