one's understanding; perception; consciousness; knowledge; awareness
ken
idiosyncrasy
forbearance
gossamer

tourists should follow local customs or not?

People do many different things to stay healthy. What do you do for good health? | Have we learned how to raise children?
tourists should follow local customs or not? #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:04 am   tourists should follow local customs or not?

Some people think visitors to other countries should follow local customs and behavior while others disagree and think that the host country should welcome
cultural differences. Discuss.

With the innovations of technology, people travel around the world easily in present-day society. But in the meantime, whether tourists should follow local customs and behavior has sparked much debate. Some people believe that tourists should follow local customs and behavior while many others argue that the host country should welcome cultural differences. As far as I am concerned, I am in favor of the former.

There is this idiom, "While in Rome, do as the Romans do", I believe there is a story behind it. When visiting a country, you can learn it's culture and the differences to your country, i am sure you can benefit from there. Hence, when someone asks you about the place you have visited, you can tell your story from your heart. Moreover, you can benefit from following local customs and behavior. Specifically, learning different cultures can avoid the conflict between the tourists and the local residents, just like it is rude to turn the fish over to the other side if you were eating with a fisherman.

On the other hand, colorable arguments can be made that the host country should welcome cultural differences. I have to admit that bringing different cultures together will promote the population and the economics. Just like Singapore, they are a multi-cultural society containing of Singaporean, Indian, and Malaysian, different races blend in easily. However, having to adapt the local culture may make some tourists feel uneasy and upset.

In summary, I would concede that welcoming cultural differences will bring population and economics. Despite that, visitors should follow local customs and behaviour. Overall, I would assert that tourists should follow local customs and behaviours, if the destination country could also welcome cultural differences is better.

To Kitos, for the last sentence in the essay, i want to assert the former but also add the latter (this sentence seems weird.... do u get what i am saying?), is it correct this way? Or are there better sentences? Thank you very much

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the student need money?
Nancy0923

tourists should follow local customs or not? #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:25 am   tourists should follow local customs or not?

With the innovations of technology, people travel around the world easily in present-day society. But in the meantime, whether OR NOT tourists should follow local customs and behavior has sparked much debate. Some people believe that tourists should follow local customs and behavior while many others argue that the host country should welcome cultural differences.
As far as I am concerned, I am in favor of the former.

There is this idiom, "While in Rome, do as the Romans do". I believe there is a story behind it.
When visiting a country you can learn it's culture and the differences to your country, //i am sure you can benefit from there// FROM WHICH I'M SURE YOU CAN BENEFIT. Hence, when someone asks you about the place you have visited, you can tell your story from your heart.
Moreover, you can benefit from following local customs and behavior.
Specifically, learning different cultures can HELP IN avoidING the conflict between the tourists and the local residents, just like it is rude to turn the fish over to the other side if you were eating with a fisherman. (Is this considered rude?)

On the other hand, /colorable/COLOURFUL/ arguments can be made that the host country should welcome cultural differences. I have to admit that bringing different cultures together will promote the population and the economics.
Just like Singapore, they are a multi-cultural society /containing/COMPRISING/CONSISTING/ of Singaporean, Indian, and Malaysian, THESE different races blend TOGETHER easily. However, having to adapt TO the local culture may make some tourists feel uneasy and upset.

In summary, I would concede that welcoming cultural differences will bring FOREIGNER ACCEPTANCE TO THE population and AN IMPROVEMENT IN THE COUNTRY'S economics. Despite that, visitors should follow local customs and behaviour.
Overall, I would assert that tourists should follow local customs and behaviours.
If the destination country could also welcome cultural differences, ALL THE better.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You continue to improve Nancy. This was an interesting essay. 8/10

To Kitos, for the last sentence in the essay, i want to assert the former but also add the latter (this sentence seems weird.... do u get what i am saying?), is it correct this way? Or are there better sentences? Thank you very much[/quote]
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
tourists should follow local customs or not? #3 (permalink) Wed Feb 03, 2010 13:33 pm   tourists should follow local customs or not?

Thank you Kistoz.

Maybe I shouldn't put "rude" in that fisherman sentence, is "unrespectable" better?
Nancy0923

tourists should follow local customs or not? #4 (permalink) Wed Feb 03, 2010 13:51 pm   tourists should follow local customs or not?

or disrespectful ... better still.
_________________

Hi Kitosdad #5 (permalink) Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:15 am   Hi Kitosdad

I need to improve my writing skills if you can help me out i will be soo happy thank you
Kepi

Characteristics of agood teacherMost popular invention in the twentieth century.TOEFL® essay - Some people spend their entire lives in one place. Others...Could somebody help me with my writing please?!WHICH ONE DO YOU PREFER STUDENTS SHOULD WORK WHILE THEY ARE EARNING THEIR DEGREESDo you think that homework is necessary or not? Use specific reasons and examples“COLLEGE YEAR ARE THE BEST TIME IN PERSONS LIFE”.TOEFL® essay - If you could change one important thing about your hometown...Playing a game is only fan when you win.Good characteristics of Boss.Do you like to eat at home or hotel?Anyone took the exam today?Some people like to do only what they already do well. Other people prefer to