complex; complicated; involved; entangled
scrupulous
appealing
intricate
empty

the difference between in, on and at

Sentence: Who was the woman I saw you laughing with yesterday? | Difference between care and attention
the difference between in, on and at #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 05, 2010 21:50 pm   the difference between in, on and at

please i would like to know exactly the difference between prepositions in,on and at.thanks
Merocasa

Location: Morocco

the difference between in, on and at #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:42 am   the difference between in, on and at

All three prepositions have a vast number of uses. There is no simple solution to your dilemma.

In: –preposition
1. (used to indicate inclusion within space, a place, or limits): walking in the park.
2. (used to indicate inclusion within something abstract or immaterial): in politics; in the autumn.
3. (used to indicate inclusion within or occurrence during a period or limit of time): in ancient times; a task done in ten minutes.
4. (used to indicate limitation or qualification, as of situation, condition, relation, manner, action, etc.): to speak in a whisper; to be similar in appearance.
5. (used to indicate means): sketched in ink; spoken in French.
6. (used to indicate motion or direction from outside to a point within) into: Let's go in the house.
7. (used to indicate transition from one state to another): to break in half.
8. (used to indicate object or purpose): speaking in honor of the event.

On: –preposition
1. so as to be or remain supported by or suspended from: Put your package down on the table; Hang your coat on the hook.
2. so as to be attached to or unified with: Hang the picture on the wall. Paste the label on the package.
3. so as to be a covering or wrapping for: Put the blanket on the baby. Put aluminum foil on the lamb chops before freezing them.
4. in connection, association, or cooperation with; as a part or element of: to serve on a jury.
5. so as to be a supporting part, base, backing, etc., of: a painting on canvas; mounted on cardboard; legs on a chair.
6. (used to indicate place, location, situation, etc.): a scar on the face; the book on the table; a house on 19th Street.
7. (used to indicate immediate proximity): a house on the lake; to border on absurdity.
8. in the direction of: on the left; to sail on a southerly course.
9. (used to indicate a means of conveyance or a means of supporting or supplying movement): on the wing; This car runs on electricity. Can you walk on your hands? I'll be there on the noon plane.
10. by the agency or means of: drunk on wine; talking on the phone; I saw it on television.
11. in addition to: millions on millions of stars.
12. with respect or regard to (used to indicate the object of an action directed against or toward): Let's play a joke on him. Write a critical essay on Shakespeare.
13. in a state or condition of; in the process of: on strike; The house is on fire!
14. subject to: a doctor on call.
15. engaged in or involved with: He's on the second chapter now.
16. (used to indicate a source or a person or thing that serves as a source or agent): a duty on imported goods; She depends on her friends for encouragement.
17. (used to indicate a basis or ground): on my word of honor; The movie is based on the book.
18. (used to indicate risk or liability): on pain of death.
19. (used to indicate progress toward or completion of an objective): We completed the project on budget.
20. assigned to or occupied with; operating: Who's on the switchboard this afternoon?
21. Informal. so as to disturb or affect adversely: My hair dryer broke on me.
22. Informal. paid for by, esp. as a treat or gift: Dinner is on me.
23. taking or using as a prescribed measure, cure, or the like: The doctor had her on a low-salt diet.
24. regularly taking or addicted to: He was on drugs for two years.
25. Informal. with; carried by: I have no money on me.
26. (used to indicate time or occasion): on Sunday; We demand cash on delivery.
27. (used to indicate the object or end of motion): to march on the capital.
28. (used to indicate the object or end of action, thought, desire, etc.): to gaze on a scene.
29. (used to indicate subject, reference, or respect): views on public matters.
30. (used to indicate an encounter): The pickpocket crept up on a victim.

At: –preposition
1. (used to indicate a point or place occupied in space); in, on, or near: to stand at the door; at the bottom of the barrel.
2. (used to indicate a location or position, as in time, on a scale, or in order): at zero; at noon; at age 65; at the end; at the lowest point.
3. (used to indicate presence or location): at home; at hand.
4. (used to indicate amount, degree, or rate): at great speed; at high altitudes.
5. (used to indicate a direction, goal, or objective); toward: Aim at the mark. Look at that.
6. (used to indicate occupation or involvement): at work; at play.
7. (used to indicate a state or condition): at ease; at peace.
8. (used to indicate a cause or source): She was annoyed at his stupidity.
9. (used to indicate a method or manner): He spoke at length.
10. (used to indicate relative quality or value): at one's best; at cost.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
the difference between in, on and at #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 06, 2010 22:20 pm   the difference between in, on and at

thankkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk you sir.thank you so much
Merocasa

Location: Morocco

Why might advertising have an impact many years after it appears?sort into vs. fall intooverpass vs. intersectionwith whom (or) whom ... withDifference between yet and already? Why is "yet" not appropriate here?Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost'Meaning of parrotsdifference between common and usual hereWe're going right after work.I'm going to a movie vs. I'm going to watch a moviequiet instead of rangesentence using than as a subordinating conjuctionPhrase: I have possibly inherited this disability