Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to write down in a timetable; to register
size
attempt
calendar
tantalizing
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'Blow up'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Jacob Freeman, a bank teller was recently evaluated by his superior... | Expression: Eat away on
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of 'Blow up' #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 06, 2010 17:51 pm   Meaning of 'Blow up'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #181 "Facts about pizza in the US: pizza industry expressions", question 10

The popularity of pizza really ......... when American soldiers returned from Italy after World War II.

(a) detonated
(b) exploded
(c) blasted
(d) blew up

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #181 "Facts about pizza in the US: pizza industry expressions", answer 10

The popularity of pizza really exploded when American soldiers returned from Italy after World War II.

Correct answer: (b) exploded

Your answer was: incorrect
The popularity of pizza really blew up when American soldiers returned from Italy after World War II.

Why "blew up" is incorrect in this sentence?
Oinas
You can meet me at english-test.net

Meaning of 'Blow up' #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:40 am   Meaning of 'Blow up'

Because it makes no sense here. 'Blow up' = explode in a physical sense or in anger.

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of 'Blow up' #3 (permalink) Mon Feb 08, 2010 18:36 pm   Meaning of 'Blow up'

Hi,

What that means 'to be exploded' ? And why don't we say 'blasted' istead?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of 'Blow up' #4 (permalink) Mon Feb 08, 2010 23:03 pm   Meaning of 'Blow up'

'Explode' here means 'expand/increase rapidly'. We don't say 'blasted' because it does not mean that.

Meaning of 'Blow up' #5 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:18 pm   Meaning of 'Blow up'

Oh, Thank you.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Jacob Freeman, a bank teller was recently evaluated by his superior... | Expression: Eat away on
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
puppies vs cubsWhen i breathe with my mouth and lungs i take air into my lungs and inhale...Define export potential'A few' for countable nouns.On the horizon vs under the horizon.simple past followed by simple presentAbout feline also meaning of this word Is there any animal belongs to?Why might advertising have an impact many years after it appears?sort into vs. fall intooverpass vs. intersectionwith whom (or) whom ... withDifference between yet and already? Why is "yet" not appropriate here?Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost'