reliable; trustworthy; dependable
commercial
aggregate
robust
credible

To be in the hen house

"Coming to call" | Is "coming on hard" the same with "coming on strong"?
To be in the hen house #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 15, 2010 20:36 pm   To be in the hen house

"What's wrong with you? You look like you are in the ......... today. You always look so happy every other day," Helen said to Geraldine.

(a) hen house
(b) bullpens
(c) circus
(d) doldrums

"What's wrong with you? You look like you are in the hen house today. You always look so happy every other day," Helen said to Geraldine.

Correct answer: (a) hen house

"What's wrong with you? You look like you are in the bullpens today. You always look so happy every other day," Helen said to Geraldine.
_________________________

Can someone please explain this expression?
Baubau

To be in the hen house #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 am   To be in the hen house

Hi Baubau,
This answer to this question is wrong. The wrong button was chosen when making the test by mistake. We'll correct that right away. The answer is: (d) doldrums.
To be "in the doldrums" means "To be sad/depressed/not motivated."
Doldrums is an area near the equator that is known to have unpredictable wind patterns. A sailboat that is stuck in the doldrums may not have enough wind pressure to get out of the area.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
To be in the hen house #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:28 am   To be in the hen house

Thank you kindly.
Baubau

What is a toddler?I need some money!What does engage in horse play mean?"He must have got me to make five concessions""go play in traffic"I came ... with fever and i need to go to the hospital.Keep up the good work!But to each to his own - I guess the second "to" is a typo.'Who' is a relative pronoun and is used to begin relative clauses...At the end of the day?What is a carry-on bag?Statutes enacted by cities are called?Meaning of idiom 'in one's birthday suit'