Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

reliable; trustworthy; dependable
commercial
aggregate
robust
credible
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

To be in the hen house

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"Coming to call" | Is "coming on hard" the same with "coming on strong"?
listening exercisestell a friend
To be in the hen house #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 15, 2010 20:36 pm   To be in the hen house

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #334 "English Slang Idioms (55)", question 10

"What's wrong with you? You look like you are in the ......... today. You always look so happy every other day," Helen said to Geraldine.

(a) hen house
(b) bullpens
(c) circus
(d) doldrums

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #334 "English Slang Idioms (55)", answer 10

"What's wrong with you? You look like you are in the hen house today. You always look so happy every other day," Helen said to Geraldine.

Correct answer: (a) hen house

Your answer was: incorrect
"What's wrong with you? You look like you are in the bullpens today. You always look so happy every other day," Helen said to Geraldine.

Can someone please explain this expression?
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

To be in the hen house #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 am   To be in the hen house

Hi Baubau,
This answer to this question is wrong. The wrong button was chosen when making the test by mistake. We'll correct that right away. The answer is: (d) doldrums.
To be "in the doldrums" means "To be sad/depressed/not motivated."
Doldrums is an area near the equator that is known to have unpredictable wind patterns. A sailboat that is stuck in the doldrums may not have enough wind pressure to get out of the area.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
To be in the hen house #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:28 am   To be in the hen house

Thank you kindly.
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

"Coming to call" | Is "coming on hard" the same with "coming on strong"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is a toddler?I need some money!What does engage in horse play mean?"He must have got me to make five concessions""go play in traffic"I came ... with fever and i need to go to the hospital.Keep up the good work!But to each to his own - I guess the second "to" is a typo.'Who' is a relative pronoun and is used to begin relative clauses...At the end of the day?What is a carry-on bag?Statutes enacted by cities are called?Meaning of idiom 'in one's birthday suit'