structure in which horses and other animals are housed
spy
imperative
health
stable

"quite" vs "quiet"

"dry behind the ears" | nevermind
"quite" vs "quiet" #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:09 am   "quite" vs "quiet"

ESL/EFL Test #49 "Speaking: Political Party", question 2

As you probably know the Tranquillity Party stands for peace and ......... in the countryside.

(a) quite
(b) quiet
(c) quietly
(d) quieten

ESL/EFL Test #49 "Speaking: Political Party", answer 2

As you probably know the Tranquillity Party stands for peace and quiet in the countryside.

Correct answer: (b) quiet

As you probably know the Tranquillity Party stands for peace and quite in the countryside.
_________________________

is there a significant difference in means between
"quite" & "quiet" ?
Carlsoak

Location: Hannover Germany, Pittsburgh USA, London UK

"quite" vs "quiet" #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 19, 2010 13:52 pm   "quite" vs "quiet"

They're absolutely different. Quite precedes an adj and has the same meaning as rather, pretty, fairly. Quiet means without a sound. But i think the answer must be quietness as peace is a noun and there's a parallel structure here.
_________________
Nothing's impossible! Never say never! They're what I've been following. Hope you to follow them too!
Vietanhpham_Winter

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
"quite" vs "quiet" #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 19, 2010 14:07 pm   "quite" vs "quiet"

Hi Vietan,

It would be great if you could answer only those questions you really know the answer to. Otherwise your posts will be very confusing to our users. The word 'quiet' can be a noun too and 'peace and quiet' is a fixed phrase. You can find this out within seconds by googling the phrase. Why would you post test questions that contain phrases that are not used in English?

TOEIC short conversations: An employee asks his co-worker to help him with the photo copier

"quite" vs "quiet" #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 19, 2010 14:39 pm   "quite" vs "quiet"

i dont know that i did. I'm still a grade 11 student in a non english speaking country. But that's also how i learn english.
_________________
Vietanhpham_Winter

"quite" vs "quiet" #5 (permalink) Fri Feb 19, 2010 16:07 pm   "quite" vs "quiet"

Here is some input to help you learn, Vietan. In the following sentences, you made a lot of very basic mistakes:
Vietanhpham_Winter wrote:
I would suggest rewording your first sentence this way:
- I didn't realize I was doing that.

This forum is called "English Teacher Explanations", so I would imagine that most people who post questions here want to get help from an English teacher, and they also want to be able to trust the information they get. If you post incorrect information, that will not help people learn English. Would you be happy to get an incorrect answer when YOU ask a question here? Would you be happy if the tests themselves gave incorrect information? Do you think Torsten is willing to allow learners to be given incorrect information about English?

That's why he said something to you, Vietan. He noticed that you had posted erroneous information -- information which would be misleading or confusing for other learners. Thus, he made a point of correcting it. The integrity of this site must be very important to him. ;-)

_______________________________________________
"If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?" ~ Abraham Lincoln
Esl_Expert

Location: Rhode Island, USA

Please correct me #6 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 19:25 pm   Please correct me

As per our discussion, I have raised the request on 18-Feb-2010 for upgrade the RAM (1GB to 2 or more GB) for a asset ABC

And I attached the Approval mail which is getting from our PM and PD with that request.

So Please do the needful ASAP.
Praka_Mp

"dry behind the ears" | nevermind
What does breed mean?dominated vs. competedWhat comes after single, double, triple?Meaning of "Striking distance"in 'behavior that can' that is redundantWhat does 'my heart sank' mean?I here vs. I hear"in good stead"What is the meaning of bear comparison?What does in one fell swoop mean?"his pride was getting the best of him"two times now?Difference among alliances, mergers, acqusitions and consoloidations