inexpensively
cheap
overseas
miserably
already

What is a hard back version?

"draw a bead" | meaning of Absent-minded
What is a hard back version? #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:25 am   What is a hard back version?

ESL/EFL Test #800 "Dialogue Practice: Buying a Book", question 4

Cashier: We certainly can. Oh, by the way, are you looking for a hard ......... version of the book?

(a) printed
(b) back
(c) shell
(d) boiled

ESL/EFL Test #800 "Dialogue Practice: Buying a Book", answer 4

Cashier: We certainly can. Oh, by the way, are you looking for a hard back version of the book?

Correct answer: (b) back

Cashier: We certainly can. Oh, by the way, are you looking for a hard printed version of the book?
_________________________

'Hard back version' What does it mean?

English Learner Nelko
Nelko

What is a hard back version? #2 (permalink) Sat Feb 20, 2010 13:10 pm   What is a hard back version?

Not a paperback version.

A hard cover to the text, usually making it fairly bulky and heavy.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What is a hard back version? #3 (permalink) Sat Feb 20, 2010 14:26 pm   What is a hard back version?

You can find an explanation of hardback (hardcover) books here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcover

Note:
In a context such as the one in the test question, the word "hardback" (and also "hardcover") would correctly be written as one word, not two.

_____________________________________________
"Hardcover books are fairly expensive these days and to read one requires a significant commitment of time in our busy society. So I want to make sure that when readers buy one of my books they get something they're familiar with." ~ Jeffery Deaver
Esl_Expert

Location: Connecticut, USA

Why it sounds very likely also?Usage of "the letter box made up"Why do vampire bats like human blood?Usage of the word "thru""for everything he was worth""haul it off"Meaning of "Short and stout"How could you do this to me vs. Why could you do this to me?withdrawal vs withrawalShe is really broke up about your cousin dyingMeaning of "all-you-can-eat buffet"coversing vs conversingwhat are the government people suppose to do?