Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to enter information into a chart; to postpone; to set aside for future consideration
diet
capture
realize
table
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"for everything he was worth"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
meaning of Absent-minded | "haul it off"
listening exercisestell a friend
"for everything he was worth" #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 20, 2010 20:40 pm   "for everything he was worth"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #471 "English Slang Idioms (213)", question 9

She then told him that she was going to take his best friend for everything he was ......... in court and he couldn't think of anything meaningful to say to that either. It was an uncomfortable situation.

(a) not
(b) worth
(c) doing
(d) invested

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #471 "English Slang Idioms (213)", answer 9

She then told him that she was going to take his best friend for everything he was worth in court and he couldn't think of anything meaningful to say to that either. It was an uncomfortable situation.

Correct answer: (b) worth

Your answer was: incorrect
She then told him that she was going to take his best friend for everything he was doing in court and he couldn't think of anything meaningful to say to that either. It was an uncomfortable situation.

Could someone please explain what "for everything he was worth" means in this sentence?
"for all one is worth = (informal) as energetically or enthusiastically as one can" doesn't seem to fit in this situation
Thanks.
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

"for everything he was worth" #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 21, 2010 0:09 am   "for everything he was worth"

"For all he's worth" in this case refers to suing someone for a large sum of money (all he's worth = as much money/value as he has). It's an expression/idiom that is used when a person wants to sue someone else for some wrongdoing.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
meaning of Absent-minded | "haul it off"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Difference among alliances, mergers, acqusitions and consoloidationsDifference between a securitisation company and reconstruction companyWhy it sounds very likely also?Usage of "the letter box made up"Why do vampire bats like human blood?Usage of the word "thru"Meaning of "Short and stout""draw a bead"What is a hard back version?How could you do this to me vs. Why could you do this to me?withdrawal vs withrawalShe is really broke up about your cousin dyingMeaning of "all-you-can-eat buffet"