lifeless; spiritless
ideal
alive
inanimate
versatile

Usage of "the letter box made up"

Meaning of "Short and stout" | Difference between the life today and life today
Usage of "the letter box made up" #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 am   Usage of "the letter box made up"

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", question 7

The shouts of joy coming from some houses as I put the mail through the letter ......... made up for the discomfort and.

(a) space
(b) line
(c) box
(d) opening

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", answer 7

The shouts of joy coming from some houses as I put the mail through the letter box made up for the discomfort and.

Correct answer: (c) box
_________________________

box = correct , but what does the end of the sentence mean ? ..Frage:
verstehe das Ende des Satzes nicht : das "and." mit Punkt am Ende.

Die Freudenschreie...haben das Unbehagen wettgemacht.

And yes, there MUST be a typo / Druckfehler. Firstly because you absolutely CANNOT end a sentence in English with "and." (You wouldn't say in German "haben das Unbehagen und wettgemacht.") and secondly the story continues with the next question. Therefore is the dot "." towards "and" false. It`s not so much a question of my behaviour as confusing starting learners.
Carlsoak

Location: Hannover Germany, Pittsburgh USA, London UK

Usage of "the letter box made up" #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 am   Usage of "the letter box made up"

You are right-- something is definitely wrong; a noun seems to have been omitted from the end of the sentence. I don't have access to that quiz, but someone will repair it ASAP. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does in one fell swoop mean?"his pride was getting the best of him"two times now?Difference among alliances, mergers, acqusitions and consoloidationsDifference between a securitisation company and reconstruction companyWhy it sounds very likely also?Can yoy explain me 'you guys' with other words?Why do vampire bats like human blood?Usage of the word "thru""for everything he was worth""haul it off""draw a bead"What is a hard back version?