Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

lifeless; spiritless
ideal
alive
inanimate
versatile
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Usage of "the letter box made up"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "Short and stout" | Difference between the life today and life today
listening exercisestell a friend
Usage of "the letter box made up" #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 am   Usage of "the letter box made up"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", question 7

The shouts of joy coming from some houses as I put the mail through the letter ......... made up for the discomfort and.

(a) space
(b) line
(c) box
(d) opening

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #76 "Christmas Postman (3)", answer 7

The shouts of joy coming from some houses as I put the mail through the letter box made up for the discomfort and.

Correct answer: (c) box

box = correct , but what does the end of the sentence mean ? ..Frage:
verstehe das Ende des Satzes nicht : das "and." mit Punkt am Ende.

Die Freudenschreie...haben das Unbehagen wettgemacht.

And yes, there MUST be a typo / Druckfehler. Firstly because you absolutely CANNOT end a sentence in English with "and." (You wouldn't say in German "haben das Unbehagen und wettgemacht.") and secondly the story continues with the next question. Therefore is the dot "." towards "and" false. It`s not so much a question of my behaviour as confusing starting learners.
Carlsoak
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Usage of "the letter box made up" #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 am   Usage of "the letter box made up"

You are right-- something is definitely wrong; a noun seems to have been omitted from the end of the sentence. I don't have access to that quiz, but someone will repair it ASAP. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "Short and stout" | Difference between the life today and life today
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
What does in one fell swoop mean?"his pride was getting the best of him"two times now?Difference among alliances, mergers, acqusitions and consoloidationsDifference between a securitisation company and reconstruction companyWhy it sounds very likely also?Can yoy explain me 'you guys' with other words?Why do vampire bats like human blood?Usage of the word "thru""for everything he was worth""haul it off""draw a bead"What is a hard back version?