Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

infinite; boundless
evasive
unlimited
corporate
previous
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"his pride was getting the best of him"

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does in one fell swoop mean? | two times now?
listening exercisestell a friend
"his pride was getting the best of him" #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 22, 2010 20:46 pm   "his pride was getting the best of him"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #497 "English Slang Idioms (239)", question 3

He knew that he should go ......... in hand back to the office to ask for his old job back. Unfortunately, his pride was getting the best of him and he was rapidly deciding that since his boss was wrong, he would wait until the boss called to apologize.

(a) fork
(b) dog
(c) hat
(d) brain

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #497 "English Slang Idioms (239)", answer 3

He knew that he should go hat in hand back to the office to ask for his old job back. Unfortunately, his pride was getting the best of him and he was rapidly deciding that since his boss was wrong, he would wait until the boss called to apologize.

Correct answer: (c) hat

Your answer was: correct

1. Can one use "get the best of" with positive qualities as well, or only to express negative outcomes?
2. Can "desperation got the best of her" mean desperation has made her take some positive actions to overcome the situation, or can only mean she was overcome with desperation?

Thank you.
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

"his pride was getting the best of him" #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:15 am   "his pride was getting the best of him"

1-- I think so. The sheriff got the best of the outlaw.
2-- No, only that she was overcome with desperation. For the other meaning, use 'desperation brought out the best in her'.

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
"his pride was getting the best of him" #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:19 am   "his pride was getting the best of him"

Very good questions.
In your second question, 'desperation got the best of her' means that she couldn't control her behavior (lost control) any longer because of the desperation she faced.
With reference to your first question, I don't think this exact expression can be used in a positive way.
The definition of to "get the best of you" is: control over behavior/temper etc.

You can, however, use the expression: 'to bring out the best in someone' when referring to a positive change in behavior or state.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about this?
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

"his pride was getting the best of him" #4 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:20 am   "his pride was getting the best of him"

We must have been writing a response at the same time, MM.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

What does in one fell swoop mean? | two times now?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
in 'behavior that can' that is redundantWhat does 'my heart sank' mean?nevermindI here vs. I hear"in good stead"What is the meaning of bear comparison?Difference among alliances, mergers, acqusitions and consoloidationsDifference between a securitisation company and reconstruction companyWhy it sounds very likely also?Can yoy explain me 'you guys' with other words?Usage of "the letter box made up"Why do vampire bats like human blood?Usage of the word "thru"