insensitive; materialistic; rude; ill-mannered
machiavellian
stupendous
crass
incontrovertible

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

TOEFLŪ Essay: Marry with similar or different | Toeft essay: Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyable
Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:30 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

Could someone evaluate my essay (attached below)? I mean, how many iBT TOEFL points it may worth in rough approximation?
Thanks in advance for any help/comments/suggestions!

Regads,
Max.

Question: Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have learned a foreign language in the country in which it is spoken. Which is better? Make a choice and support your opinion.

Essay:

Although, there is a huge amount of advantages in learning foreign languages in home country, I think that better way to do this is to go to the place where people speak these languages. There are several reasons for this opinion.
First of all, when you go to the foreign country you have an opportunity to hear and speak language all day long. It is like a quick jump into the deep water. You will have no time to translate words from you native language to foreign one. Hence, you will start to think on the foreign language more quickly. And it is very important since it is the main step for excellent understanding of the language.
Secondly, in host country you will hear the correct pronunciation of the words. It's a huge advantage because almost always in your home country there are not many native speakers who could help you to improve your speaking skills. Moreover, while being abroad you can learn a specific dialects and idioms that could be found only in these places.
Thirdly, you can make a lot of friends during your study. I, for example, studied French in Marseilles, France. It was not only useful time for my language skills but also livly time that I spent by travelling, chatting and making a party with my French classmates. Till now I keep up relationship and communicate with them from time to time by Skype.
And last but not least, it is the great opportunity for travelling. Studying abroad is a chance to discover new places. You can use you free time for sightseeing in the interesting cities and taking pictures of wonderful places and buildings.
Summarizing, I'd like to say that studying foreign language in the host country is a great cultural, professional and personal experience. Everyone should take a chance to make it.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the student visit the adviser's office?
Max Pirogov

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:29 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

Hi Max,

I have read your essay aloud and will make comments as I read:

Max Pirogov

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:31 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

Hi Max,

I have recorded my comments:

_________________

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

hi I am here new my exam will be on march 27 I am very anxious mostly in writing section please Alan teacher help me.I also wrote essay according to this topic.
if I wrote will please exam it and say my weak point in writing
Iron Lady

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:50 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

Let's have a look at it.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #6 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 14:47 pm   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

I also wrote essay.
to learn other language is one of the best qualities.By learning language you can speak in other languages, can read books, watch TV in that language. It is also plus in your jobto advance and to differ from others. Because in a job always is prefered to a person who knows other languages.
mostly I prefer to learn language in that country that is spoken that language. Because if you learn language in that country for a little time you speak in that language very fluently. Because everybody speaks only in that language and you have not another way. IN this case you hear only this language, watches TV only in that language.I also agree that first it is difficult to adapt to this condition. But if you want to learn this language for a little time you have to bear to this difficulty. But if you want to learn a foreign language in your country I think it will demands on you a lot of time. For example I learn the english language in my country. For learning english I spent three four years. But I can not speak english fluently.Because I speak in english only in a course or in an enlgish lesson. When I come to home I begin to speak in my native language, In the university also all time I speak to my friends, teachers in native language.In this case I begin to forget english.Also more time I have to spend again to laearn english.But if I were in a foreign language in which is spoken english for a little time I would speak very fluently in english.
In my country most people especially students prefer to go to a foreign country to learn english.Also by going to a foreign country you both relax and learn for a little time a foreign language.My sister also plans to go to England in summer to learn this language. Because she explains that she can not learn english in our country.
But from another hand it is not true 100 percent that you can learn a foreign language only in a country that is spoken this language.Because I know several people that they speak in english very fluently, But they learn this language in their native country.
in consequently I want to say that if you aim to learn a foreign language, you can learn it in your native country even nobody speaks in that language. One day in a television was shown that a japanese woman learned five languages in Japan.It is an evidence that you can learn a foreign language in your native country if you aim it.
Iron Lady

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #7 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 18:04 pm   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

Hi Iron Lady,

Here we go:

To learn ANother language is one of the best qualities/ACHIEVEMENTS. By learning A language you can speak in other languages, can read books, watch TV in that language. It is also A plus in your job to advance and to differ/BE DIFFERENT from others. Because in a job always IT is prefeRred to/FOR a person who knows other languages. (A PERSON WHO KNOWS OTHER LANGUAGES IS ALWAYS PREFERRED)
Mostly I prefer to learn A language in that country (that is spoken) WHERE that language IS SPOKEN because if you learn A language in that country for a little time you speak in that language very fluently because everybody speaks only in that language and you have not/NO another way. IN this case you hear only this language, watches/WATCH TV only in that language.I also agree that first it is difficult to adapt to this condition. But if you want to learn this language for a little time you have to (bear to) PUT UP WITH this difficulty. But if you want to learn a foreign language in your country I think it will demands/DEMAND on/FROM you a lot of time. For example I HAVE learnED the English language in my country. For learning English I spent three four years/I HAVE SPENT FOUR YEARS LEARNING ENGLISH. But I cannot speak English fluently because I speak in English only in/ON a course or in an English lesson. When I come (to) home I begin to speak in my native language, In the university also all THE time I speak to my friends, teachers in MY native language.In this case I begin to forget English.Also more time/OFTEN I have to spend MORE TIME again to laearn/LEARN English.But if I were in a foreign language/COUNTRY in which is spoken English for a little time I would speak very fluently in English.
In my country most people especially students prefer to go to a foreign country to learn English. Also by going to a foreign country you both relax and learn for a little time a foreign language.My sister also plans to go to England in THE summer to learn this language because she explains that she cannot learn English in our country.
But from an/ON THE other hand it is not true 100 percent that you can learn a foreign language only in a country WHERE that LANGUAGE is spoken (this language) because I know several people that (they )speak in English very fluently, But they learn this language in their native country.
in consequently/IN CONCLUSION I want to say that if you aim to learn a foreign language, you can learn it in your native country even IF nobody speaks in that language. One day in/ON a television IT was shown that a Japanese woman learned five languages in Japan.It is an evidence/PROOF that you can learn a foreign language in your native country if you aim AT DOING THAT (it).

Remember that all nationalities/languages start with a capital letter. It is better to join two sentences with 'because' instead of starting a new sentence with 'because'.

_________________
You can read my EFL story Prepositions

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #8 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:35 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

thank you very much for checking out my essay.I again will send essays according to other topics.
Iron Lady

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #9 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:51 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

Thanks, Alan!

It helps a lot!
I'm planing to take my TOEFL soon and I'd like to know how many points I could get for essays like this. Just to clarify how many time I need for preparation. I mean, if an essay like this have rating around 2.0 or 2.5 (14-17 TOEFL points from 30) then I need much more time for preparation.
Are there any options to help me with this assessment issue?
Thanks in advance for help!

Max.
Max Pirogov

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #10 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 am   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

There is no magic formula to answer this, I'm afraid. One answer is to read as much as you can and if possible read loud so that you can let the structures of sentences flow into your mind. There's a site here that you may find useful where you can read about current events - http://www.wrx.zen.co.uk/alltnews.htm

_________________
You can read my ESL story Make or Do?

Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have... #11 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:51 pm   Many People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...

Hi Alon

Could you rating it give the feedback

devi

Obviously the learning of the foreign language is very important and plays the vital role in this competitive world. Because of the globalization the world becomes smaller and smaller each day, in each time for lively living we need to command in foreign language for all daily work. The venue of the study either own country or in the foreign country where the language is consider as the primary language have some advantages and disadvantages. But I prefer to learn the language where it is spoken is most beneficial for the language learner despite the fact of some economic burden. The basis of my preference is technical, personal and social.

In my technical view, learning a foreign language in one's own country has the advantage in finance matter. We don't have to spend time and money on traveling and staying at a foreign country. In addition, the most important thing is that you can have your teachers explain unknown words or phrases in your mother tongue, which is especially important at the early stage of learning a foreign language. However, learning a foreign language in the country where it is spoken has incomparable advantages over these. First of all, we will have access to exact pronunciation and proper tone. Listening to exact pronunciation will help us correct our self and will improve our listening and speaking ability. I know this well from my own experience, when I first learned English, I didn't pay much attention to pronunciation and I had had very difficulty in all aspect of English language Reading Listening and Speaking.

Personally, I think practicing continuously is the most important factor and only staying in the native country can give this chance of constant practice. When living in the native country, or in a country which the language is used as first language, one has no choice but using this language. He has also to listen to news, advertisements on TV in foreign language because he has not more alternative in that area. When I study in my own country, naturally these all activities go to the domain in my own language which ultimately slows my foreign language learning ability.
Socially, it will also helps to introduce our self with other people, who have different nature values. It will be the good experienced in the life. I am so excited this type of learning in the life. Even when I was in own my country I went to look study and observed to different part of my country. I am sure this will be given in the foreign country.

To sum up, I prefer to learn a foreign language in the native country where it has been spoken as the primary one because it will give me opportunities to practice a lot, to correct my fault easily and naturally. So I think this is the better way of learning a foreign language.
Devigurung

TOEFLŪ essay: Your school has enough money to purchase either computers forYOU ARE STILL DOING IT!TOEFLŪ essay - In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still...Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the presentWhat is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful?Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your...TOEFLŪ Exam on March 6th!TOEFLŪ essay - Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers...Some students like to work in groups with other students when doing assignmentsHow do movies or television influence people's behavior? Use reasons and specificTOEFLŪ essay: Many students choose to attend schools or universities outside theirThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - Summary and analysis chapter oneTOEFLŪ essay: Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better...