timid; lacking self-confidence; shy
discursive
redolent
artful
diffident

Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present

TOEFL® essay: More like free text. | TOEFL® Essay: Marry with similar or different
Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 pm   Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present

Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Experience is something that we use in situations in which we don’t know exactly what to do. When we have experience we usually do not repeat the same mistakes. Experience is one of the essential tools we have to carry during our existence. So whatever decision we want to make firstly we have to look back and see what we learned in the past. This is called experience. Experience is gained from the past. The past makes a huge importance for us living in the present.

However, in the world today there’re many people who don’t care about the past. In many places of China, India and Africa people are losing their traditions and cultures arguing that they’re now living in globalized world and they don’t need the old habits.

The young people around the world ignore the advice given by the old people and prefer to do things by themselves. The result is evident; many young people involved in drugs, several girls get pregnant in adolescence and a young generation who disrespect completely their parents.

After many centuries the man has experienced situations such as war, segregation, apartheid, colonialism, holocaust, genocide among others. Ignoring the past correspond to ignore these things. These things have caused a lot of hate, discrimination, racism, disobedience, death of innocent people, slavery, terrorism, conflicts between nations and religions and many other problems that have damaged the human existence.

Our cultures and traditions are a way in which we can link the present with the past. While we keep our tradition and culture alive our children will know how to deal with their environment. They’ll also know how important is to respect the elders and the community.

There’re many organizations and other people who are willing to make a better world. But to achieve this goal we have to consider the past. Assuming that we made mistakes in the past we can make things better because we have in what to mirror.

Today we want to find a better way, in which we can find the solutions to solve the problems we are now facing and at the same time to perspective a promissory future. But what we can’t do is forget the past if we want to accomplish this objective.

Tomás

TOEFL listening discussions: What is the purpose of this conversation?
_________________
Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
- Will Durant
Tomasito

Location: Mozambique

Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 13:14 pm   Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present

Tomasito wrote:

Tomás

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good morning Tomas. What a great essay! You have developed a great style of writing which I know matches your personality. If there is any problem it is only in your using abbreviations. These would be frowned on in the TOEFL exam, although you are using them perfectly correctly.
I am more than happy to see you making a welcome appearance once again.
I'm sure you have a busy life and I thank you for posting this excellent essay.

Your friend Kitos.
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemThis newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 13:30 pm   Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present

Thank you for your comments Kitos. I've found in the internet a website which provides topics for toelf preparation. And this is the first amongst many other series that I’ll publish here. Thank you once again.
_________________
- Will Durant
Tomasito

Location: Mozambique

Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 13:49 pm   Learning about the past has no value for those of us living in the present

Tomas, I've sent you a PM, please reply.
_________________

TOEFL® essay - In some countries, teenagers have jobs while they are still...Toeft essay: Reading fiction (such as novels and short stories) is more enjoyableWhat is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful?Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better to save your...TOEFL® Exam on March 6th!TOEFL® essay - Schools should ask students to evaluate their teachers...Some students like to work in groups with other students when doing assignmentsHow do movies or television influence people's behavior? Use reasons and specificTOEFL® essay: Many students choose to attend schools or universities outside theirThe Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - Summary and analysis chapter oneMany People have learned a foreign language in their own country; others have...TOEFL® essay: Is it better to enjoy your money when you earn it or is it better...TOEFL® essay: Creating new things or doing same things...