Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

safety; pledge; guarantee; stock; bond
graph
security
apartment
identification
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does hooked up mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? | What does morals mean?
listening exercisestell a friend
What does hooked up mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 04, 2010 20:26 pm   What does hooked up mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #604 "Real Life: Telecommunications (1)", question 3

I am getting my phone ......... up at the beginning of next week. Until then, you can call my parents and they will give me the message.

(a) fixed
(b) jacked
(c) linked
(d) hooked

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #604 "Real Life: Telecommunications (1)", answer 3

I am getting my phone hooked up at the beginning of next week. Until then, you can call my parents and they will give me the message.

Correct answer: (d) hooked

Your answer was: incorrect
I am getting my phone fixed up at the beginning of next week. Until then, you can call my parents and they will give me the message.

would you please explain me the meaning of hook up here,thanks a lot

English Learner fina
Stupy

What does hooked up mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:06 am   What does hooked up mean?

Hooked up = connected to the public telephone system; made functional

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
What does hooked up mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Mar 05, 2010 13:44 pm   What does hooked up mean?

Hi,

I didn't catch you, Mr. Mecawber?

Is it under repair or it might mean the outside calls will be answered by one main line and from there, the receiver can put him on the wanted internal line.

I guess that called "PBX system" ... though!
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does hooked up mean? #4 (permalink) Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:20 am   What does hooked up mean?

No, no, it is just a simple telephone, but it hasn't been connected to the world telephone system yet.

What does hooked up mean? #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 am   What does hooked up mean?

Hi,

You mean a telephone device has been installed say 'at home' but still not in service.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does hooked up mean? #6 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 13:51 pm   What does hooked up mean?

Yes, but the normal process is that the phone company brings the device and installs it and puts it into service all at one time.

What does hooked up mean? #7 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 19:05 pm   What does hooked up mean?

Thank you, sir.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? | What does morals mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does 'put off' mean?Overhead levelled off?Why said insted of told?What is 'clear title'?What does read him like a book mean?Meaning of "That sounds great/good"What does hand in mean?What is an old windsock?Difference between since and farsterile vs fertileWhat does "there will be some kind of consideration" mean?Sentences with lift?meaning of janitorial