taking into account; in light of
during
considering
regarding
except

How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and the

Please read some sentences to help me. Many thanks. | May good luck......you.
How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and the #1 (permalink) Sat Mar 06, 2010 22:34 pm   How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and the

Could you please give me some examples of the words and phrases above and tell me the differences between them? Also their function in a sentence one by one. Thanks.
_________________
Nothing's impossible! Never say never! They're what I've been following. Hope you to follow them too!
Vietanhpham_Winter

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 16:37 pm   How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and

These words are called determiners.

Another, other and the other all can replace adjective. Others can only replace noun.

"Another" has two meanings. The first is - something else (not specific), different from this. For example:

One person's peach is another person's poison.

The second meaning - one more, extra or additional.
Example:

I'd like another cup of tea, please.
Please give me another chance.

"Another", as a name suggests (an-other), can be used only with singular noun.

"Other" also has meaning of "different". It is used with plural nouns:
Many other people have said the same.

"The other" is used when you have only two choices and you need to say "not this, but that":
The supermarket is on the other side of the street.

Notice the difference between "another" and "the other":
1. There are a lot of hats in the shop. I don't like this hat, give me another one.
2. There are only two hats in the shop. I don't like this hat, give me the other one.

"Others" and "the others" are replacements of plural nouns, not of adjectives:

Some people like to rest in their free time. Others like to travel (or : other people like to travel)
There were three books on my table. One is here. Where are the others ? (or : where are the other books?)

Also, you should remember some expressions with other and another:

- each other : only refers to two;
- one another : only refers to more than two;
- any other, no other (= not any other);
- every other day (month, year) = day yes, day no.
Mkostya

Location: Haifa

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and the #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 20:08 pm   How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and the

Thank you for explanation!
Saule

How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and the #4 (permalink) Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am   How to use other, others, another, the other, one another, one the other and the

Mkostya
Example:

I'd like another cup of tea, please.
Please give me another chance.

Mona Rmzi

How to understand 'either' and 'on'“Dear Madam / Sir” or “Dear Sirs”Could you help me with this test?Trisha Brown first made a name for herself in the 1960sAs soon as I receive or as soon as I receivedgeneration gapfurniture which has a head and a footsport /sports eventnon-defining clausecould hearWe can request books for the library to acquire.at the beginning" vs "in the beginningBy the time Big Jim became heavy-weight boxing champion he had won over...