Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

person who designs gardens or large areas
check
courtesy
landscaper
plumber
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

To till date or till date

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Fresh from a stint | couple sentences
listening exercisestell a friend
To till date or till date #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:18 am   To till date or till date

I have been working with X Ltd co. since 2005 May to till date.
Is 'to' , mandatory before till date, or is it optional or in fact wrong?
Sajumon
I'm here quite often ;-)

To till date or till date #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:46 am   To till date or till date

I think it is not mandatory. So the sentence could be I have been working with X Ltd co. since 2005 may till date.
Sunhoek
You can meet me at english-test.net

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
To till date or till date #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 15:33 pm   To till date or till date

What do you think the word DATE here means? I'm not sure but the word TILL may be an adjective which means present, temporary. If so, the sentence is grammatically correct.

This isn't true.

Alan

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

To till date or till date #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 15:54 pm   To till date or till date

Hi Sajumon,

'Till' is another shortened form of 'until' and can be either a conjunction or a preposition as in: He worked at the same company till/until he was 60 years old (conjunction) He worked at his office on Monday till/until late in the evening (preposition)

In your sentence 'to till' isn't correct. You would have to say:

I have been working with X Ltd co. since 2005 May.

or

I have been working with X Ltd from May till the present time.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

To till date or till date #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 16:32 pm   To till date or till date

Yes Mr. Alan. I was wrong but not too seriously as I said I was not sure. I also know till is a preposition and conjunction but I didn't know whether it's an adjective with the meaning of present or not.

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

To till date or till date #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:48 am   To till date or till date

Thank you, Alan.
Sajumon
I'm here quite often ;-)

To till date or till date #7 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:54 am   To till date or till date

Thank you Alan. Now I am clarified on the sentence with your answer.

Sunho
Sunhoek
You can meet me at english-test.net

Fresh from a stint | couple sentences
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
A knowledgeSentence correction exercisewhen someone looks down on meare these sentences correct?Typical Indian English?"Replaced with" or "Replaced by"?Why do we sometimes put 'the' in front of a place, but sometimes we don't?Is this Correct? Behind a tough and hard facade lies a fragile heart. Be carefulStaying woken to late hour in the night?everybody have vs everybody hasHow much does it cost?Can't +have+ppI am yet to do smth.