Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

means of expression; channel of communication; middle man; intermediary; broker
confidence
acquisition
medium
custom
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Argument vs. discussion

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
turn over vs. turn around | 'Why' is the wrong option cause it is need an object. Is it right?
listening exercisestell a friend
Argument vs. discussion #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 24, 2005 15:53 pm   Argument vs. discussion

Test No. express/elem-10 "Funny Idioms", question 9

And really the only reason you were there was because you had a bone to pick with him?

(a) you wanted to have a discussion with him
(b) you wanted to have a chat with him
(c) you wanted to have a talk with him
(d) you wanted to have an argument with him

Test No. express/elem-10 "Funny Idioms", answer 9

And really the only reason you were there was because you wanted to have an argument with him?

Correct answer: (d) you wanted to have an argument with him

Your answer was: incorrect
And really the only reason you were there was because you wanted to have a discussion with him?

What is the difference between argument an discussion? Is that because argument is something fact based and discussion may not?
Raul

Argument/discussion #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 24, 2005 17:03 pm   Argument/discussion

Hi Raul,

To my mind an argument is a sort of quarrel because it suggests that two or more people are disputing the validity of the topic under consideration. Discussion is much more a free flowing conversation about the topic.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Argument vs. discussion #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 pm   Argument vs. discussion

Hello!

I tried to guess the origin, the situation and the time when the phrase "to have a bone to pick with him" appeared, and..... couldn`t! If you know something write, please!!!

Dina
Dina27
I'm here quite often ;-)

turn over vs. turn around | 'Why' is the wrong option cause it is need an object. Is it right?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Why smells and not is smelling?What's the meanig of pinch an inch.why we can not use the word ' imagining'.I dropped a dress size, it is simply meaning that to fit into dress.Meaning of piling on the poundsthe box is needed for all my thingsWould you like some more coffee? vs Do you like some more coffee?In modern jurisdictions, the plaintiff's death before judgement terminates all...To gel a familyTo combine information to form a new perspective is called?Teaching TerminologyI spent a lot of money. vs I spend a lot of money.When we are taking appatment and how can we speak?