means of expression; channel of communication; middle man; intermediary; broker
confidence
acquisition
medium
custom

Argument vs. discussion

turn over vs. turn around | 'Why' is the wrong option cause it is need an object. Is it right?
Argument vs. discussion #1 (permalink) Thu Nov 24, 2005 15:53 pm   Argument vs. discussion

Test No. express/elem-10 "Funny Idioms", question 9

And really the only reason you were there was because you had a bone to pick with him?

(a) you wanted to have a discussion with him
(b) you wanted to have a chat with him
(c) you wanted to have a talk with him
(d) you wanted to have an argument with him

Test No. express/elem-10 "Funny Idioms", answer 9

And really the only reason you were there was because you wanted to have an argument with him?

Correct answer: (d) you wanted to have an argument with him

And really the only reason you were there was because you wanted to have a discussion with him?
_________________________

What is the difference between argument an discussion? Is that because argument is something fact based and discussion may not?
Raul

Argument/discussion #2 (permalink) Thu Nov 24, 2005 17:03 pm   Argument/discussion

Hi Raul,

To my mind an argument is a sort of quarrel because it suggests that two or more people are disputing the validity of the topic under consideration. Discussion is much more a free flowing conversation about the topic.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Argument vs. discussion #3 (permalink) Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:55 pm   Argument vs. discussion

Hello!

I tried to guess the origin, the situation and the time when the phrase "to have a bone to pick with him" appeared, and..... couldn`t! If you know something write, please!!!

Dina
Dina27

Why smells and not is smelling?What's the meanig of pinch an inch.why we can not use the word ' imagining'.I dropped a dress size, it is simply meaning that to fit into dress.Meaning of piling on the poundsthe box is needed for all my thingsWould you like some more coffee? vs Do you like some more coffee?In modern jurisdictions, the plaintiff's death before judgement terminates all...To gel a familyTo combine information to form a new perspective is called?Teaching TerminologyI spent a lot of money. vs I spend a lot of money.When we are taking appatment and how can we speak?