to cut with a sharp quick stroke; to reduce; to lower; to criticize strongly
vary
scale
frame
slash

gave rise to competition?

How do we read "Jane_101"? | what's the difference between true and truth?
gave rise to competition? #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 22, 2010 18:15 pm   gave rise to competition?

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Evolution of the Stock Exchange", question 8

When the computer did away with the physical limitation of the Exchange within one single city or region, the technology lost its uniqueness, and it gave rise to ..........

(a) competition
(b) correlation
(c) jurisdiction
(d) justification

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Evolution of the Stock Exchange", answer 8

When the computer did away with the physical limitation of the Exchange within one single city or region, the technology lost its uniqueness, and it gave rise to competition.

Correct answer: (a) competition
_________________________

What is the meaning of this sentence?
_________________
I have a dream and I want to know the secret of time and universe.
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

gave rise to competition? #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 22, 2010 22:58 pm   gave rise to competition?

The computer has made it easier for more stock exchanges and stock trading companies to develop.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
gave rise to competition? #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 am   gave rise to competition?

Thanks, Mister Micawber.
That means "the technology" in the sentense refers to the stock exchange, am I right?
_________________
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

gave rise to competition? #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:36 am   gave rise to competition?

Not exactly-- it refers to the mechanisms (or perhaps just the computer technology) used to operate the traditional stock exchange.
_________________

What is uneconomic actions?What does "in place" mean here?By saying 'the least efficient and least defensible tax' what does this imply?what's the meaning of ”additional for“Adding up?interest rates are going up?meaning of 'Bite'what is rubbish?why not burried? what is the meaning of nipped in this context?Expression: "He was much more thorough in his studies"Is a one month's notice the same as a dismissal notice?what does overpopulated mean?Meaning of redundant