Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to cut with a sharp quick stroke; to reduce; to lower; to criticize strongly
vary
scale
frame
slash
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

gave rise to competition?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How do we read "Jane_101"? | what's the difference between true and truth?
listening exercisestell a friend
gave rise to competition? #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 22, 2010 18:15 pm   gave rise to competition?

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Evolution of the Stock Exchange", question 8

When the computer did away with the physical limitation of the Exchange within one single city or region, the technology lost its uniqueness, and it gave rise to ..........

(a) competition
(b) correlation
(c) jurisdiction
(d) justification

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #163 "Evolution of the Stock Exchange", answer 8

When the computer did away with the physical limitation of the Exchange within one single city or region, the technology lost its uniqueness, and it gave rise to competition.

Correct answer: (a) competition

What is the meaning of this sentence?
thanks

gave rise to competition? #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 22, 2010 22:58 pm   gave rise to competition?

The computer has made it easier for more stock exchanges and stock trading companies to develop.

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
gave rise to competition? #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 am   gave rise to competition?

Thanks, Mister Micawber.
That means "the technology" in the sentense refers to the stock exchange, am I right?

gave rise to competition? #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:36 am   gave rise to competition?

Not exactly-- it refers to the mechanisms (or perhaps just the computer technology) used to operate the traditional stock exchange.

How do we read "Jane_101"? | what's the difference between true and truth?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is uneconomic actions?What does "in place" mean here?By saying 'the least efficient and least defensible tax' what does this imply?what's the meaning of ”additional for“Adding up?interest rates are going up?meaning of 'Bite'what is rubbish?why not burried? what is the meaning of nipped in this context?Expression: "He was much more thorough in his studies"Is a one month's notice the same as a dismissal notice?what does overpopulated mean?Meaning of redundant