message sent to a newsgroup or mailing list (Internet)
prerogative
bank
posting
commuter

The omission of relative pronouns.

Connecting different tenses | question on start and begin
The omission of relative pronouns. #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:18 am   The omission of relative pronouns.

I've been wondering why some books say it's impossible to omit the relative pronouns if it's the subject of the relative clause but others say it's possible and even extremely common. For example, The girl sitting next to me is my best friend. If not omitted, who here is exactly the subject of the relative clause. But I work for a company that makes car. Is it possible to omit that here? And also, in Grammar in Context- Proficiency level English, Hugh Gethin shows many exceptions. Please give me best consultations. Thank you.
_________________
Nothing's impossible! Never say never! They're what I've been following. Hope you to follow them too!
Vietanhpham_Winter

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

The omission of relative pronouns. #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 am   The omission of relative pronouns.

Hi VW,

Look again at what you have written:

The girl sitting next to me is my best friend

I work for a company that makes car

Can you see the difference?

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
The omission of relative pronouns. #3 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:11 pm   The omission of relative pronouns.

Isn't it possible to say: "I work for a company making cars"?
Mkostya

Location: Haifa

The omission of relative pronouns. #4 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:45 pm   The omission of relative pronouns.

I know that in the second sentence, the relative clause is put at the end of the sentence but there is also I live in a pleasant room overlooking the garden. In this sentence, the relative clause is also put at the end of the sentence but the relative pronoun can still be omitted.
_________________
Vietanhpham_Winter

The omission of relative pronouns. #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 am   The omission of relative pronouns.

A RELATIVE pronoun introduces a relative clause, and it usually has the immediately preceding noun or noun substitute as its antecedent.

The relative pronouns who, whom, which and that can be omitted (that is, they are treated as understood) when they function as the object of a verb or the object of a preposition.

Pruthiraj Nayak
Pruthiraj

The omission of relative pronouns. #6 (permalink) Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:30 am   The omission of relative pronouns.

Just one note of caution, when 'that' is used as a relative pronoun, it can't be used as the object of a preposition.

_________________

The omission of relative pronouns. #7 (permalink) Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:25 am   The omission of relative pronouns.

Not at all. Relative pronoun as a subject in relative clause can still be omitted. For example, the man going here yesterday is my brother.
_________________
Vietanhpham_Winter

idioms-they are killing meIs saying "Quotes of Love" correct?In the same fashion, in the same manner, in the same way.Wear to?whats the difference between use and usage?Cast pearls before swine?Words related to expect.Wait vs.be dying tobind vs bondCorrection of Sentence: I was coming quickly, quickly.Sentence needs checkingcannot vs can noti have little problin in this