Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

boss; person or company that hires people to do work
confirmation
discipline
employer
employment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'Christina is studying for her chemistry' vs 'She studies for her chemistry'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
How can you possibly sprint up slowly? | Why do we use marine mammals?
listening exercisestell a friend
'Christina is studying for her chemistry' vs 'She studies for her chemistry' #1 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 17:55 pm   'Christina is studying for her chemistry' vs 'She studies for her chemistry'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #193 "Verb Tense Practice (10)", question 3

Christina ......... for her chemistry exam at the moment.

(a) study
(b) studies
(c) studied
(d) is studying

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #193 "Verb Tense Practice (10)", answer 3

Christina is studying for her chemistry exam at the moment.

Correct answer: (d) is studying

Your answer was: incorrect
Christina studies for her chemistry exam at the moment.

Hi, I can't understand why I can't use Sudies for this sentence. I thought boths verbs tense were meaning almost the same. Thank you

Mesias
Mesiass

'Christina is studying for her chemistry' vs 'She studies for her chemistry' #2 (permalink) Thu Mar 25, 2010 19:38 pm   'Christina is studying for her chemistry' vs 'She studies for her chemistry'

Hello Mesiass,
No, they are not the same.
"Studies" is a present simple verb and is used for situations that take place on a regular basis, facts etc.
On the other hand, "is studying" is a present continuous verb.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
How can you possibly sprint up slowly? | Why do we use marine mammals?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Should not it be, Would you like "something" to drink?Sentence: Nantucket, which is a little island 20 miles off Cape Cod, MassachusettWhat is the use of phrasal verbs?Three rates here: money factor, annual interest rate, and local new-car loan...What "tying up" mean? tie up?What is destination charge? Meaning the delivery fee.Is the structure of the sentence "from--to--to"?Does the "the select few concepts" refer to the 'viable ideas'?What does the "work above and beyond the call of duty" mean?What is a fine?What is the meaning of 'I've really had enough of all your excuses?What does took its eye off the ball mean?Meaning of 'Many suppliers are reserving judgment until the strategy...'