Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

financial obligation; debt; responsibility; obligation
liability
scratch
desk
existence
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'stand by' mean? | What does 'in their right mind' mean?
listening exercisestell a friend
What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 26, 2010 20:24 pm   What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", question 7

It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life and I just wanted the ground to ......... up and swallow me.

(a) ease
(b) throe
(c) open
(d) crack

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", answer 7

It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life and I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.

Correct answer: (c) open

Your answer was: incorrect
It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life and I just wanted the ground to crack up and swallow me.

What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?
Luby
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 am   What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?

Just like in an earthquake, the ground opens up and swallow you. In this sentence, it implies you're so embarrassed that you want somewhere to hide.

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'stand by' mean? | What does 'in their right mind' mean?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Email feels private, but it's anything but.What does mean "doing damage control"?Why not entirely?Meaning of fragmentary and fragmented?Meaning of 'turn down'What is the meaning of outstanding shares?pipe inShould not it be, Would you like "something" to drink?Sentence: Nantucket, which is a little island 20 miles off Cape Cod, MassachusettWhat is the use of phrasal verbs?Learning English has some advantages...turn down means 'refuse'?If I were you vs. if I was you?