financial obligation; debt; responsibility; obligation
liability
scratch
desk
existence

What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?

What does 'stand by' mean? | What does 'in their right mind' mean?
What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 26, 2010 20:24 pm   What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", question 7

It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life and I just wanted the ground to ......... up and swallow me.

(a) ease
(b) throe
(c) open
(d) crack

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", answer 7

It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life and I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me.

Correct answer: (c) open

It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life and I just wanted the ground to crack up and swallow me.
_________________________

Luby

What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 am   What does 'ground to open up and swallow me' mean?

Just like in an earthquake, the ground opens up and swallow you. In this sentence, it implies you're so embarrassed that you want somewhere to hide.
_________________
Nothing's impossible! Never say never! They're what I've been following. Hope you to follow them too!
Vietanhpham_Winter

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Email feels private, but it's anything but.What does mean "doing damage control"?Why not entirely?Meaning of fragmentary and fragmented?Meaning of 'turn down'What is the meaning of outstanding shares?pipe inShould not it be, Would you like "something" to drink?Sentence: Nantucket, which is a little island 20 miles off Cape Cod, MassachusettWhat is the use of phrasal verbs?Learning English has some advantages...turn down means 'refuse'?If I were you vs. if I was you?