dead; vanished; gone
extinct
incumbent
morose
motley

Has telephone made communication less personal?

Is it better to travel with a tour guide? | Arts or environment?
Has telephone made communication less personal? #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 29, 2010 16:56 pm   Has telephone made communication less personal?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Telephones and email have made communication between people less personal. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

I am totally in favor of the statement that suggests that telephones and email have triggered off less personal communication between people. The basis of my statement will be explained as follows.

To begin with, as far as personal communication is concerned, it can only be successfully achieved through face to face conversation. Because you can notice the willingness of your listener to listen to you, since you will consider not only his verbal expressions but also his corporal gestures. Besides, follow the messages accordingly is much easier to do, if people gather together to chat, as you will focus your attention in the speaker, and hence you will not be distracted by noises. Therefore, any other type of communication will make the discussion of two or more people more impersonal.

Regarding the communication by telephone, sometimes it may occur that you have to deal with some interference, due to an unstable telephone line or problems with the telephone device. Likewise, concerning the use of the email, it may happen that your Internet supplier is experiencing technical difficulties, or that your modem needs to be fixed, or maybe it is your receiver who has to cope with those issues. What is more, perhaps there are strangers who are eavesdropping to your phone calls or maybe there are third parties snooping around your emails. In addition, how would you address to your receivers if you do not know their gender, their marital status, and the like? Personally, I find it really troublesome to keep a cold contact with people by email.

Bearing all of the above mentioned in mind, I definitely agree that telephones and emails are means of communication which have made people to establish connection in a less personal way. There is nothing comparable to face to face chat in order to gain more personal feedback.

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the student visit the adviser's office?
Milily

Has telephone made communication less personal? #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:11 am   Has telephone made communication less personal?

I am totally in AGREEMENT WITH the statement that suggests that telephones and email have triggered off less personal communication between people. The basis of my statement will be explained as follows.

To begin with, as far as personal communication is concerned, it can only be successfully achieved through face to face conversation, because you can notice the willingness of your listener to listen to you, since you will consider not only his verbal expressions but also his corporal gestures.
Besides, followING the messages accordingly THEME OF THE CONVERSATION is much easier to do if people gather together to chat, as you will BE focusING your attention ON the speaker, and hence you will not be distracted by OTHER THINGS. Therefore, any other type of communication will make the discussion of two or more people more impersonal.

Regarding the communication by telephone, sometimes it may occur that you have to deal with some interference, due to an unstable telephone line or problems with the telephone device. Likewise, concerning the use of the email. It may happen that your Internet supplier is experiencing technical difficulties, or that your modem needs to be fixed, or maybe it is your receiver who has to cope with those issues. What is more, perhaps there are strangers who are eavesdropping ON your phone calls, or maybe there are third parties snooping around your emails. In addition, how would you address to your receivers if you do not know their gender, their marital status, and the like? Personally, I find it really troublesome to keep a cold contact with people by email.

Bearing all of the above mentioned in mind, I definitely agree that telephones and emails are A means of communication which have made LED people to establish A connection in a less personal way. There is nothing comparable to face to face chat in order to gain more personal feedback.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
NOT bad Milily, but you cn do better.
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemSign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Has telephone made communication less personal? #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 01, 2010 16:05 pm   Has telephone made communication less personal?

Mea culpa. I should pay more attention.
Thanks, Kitos.
Milily

some people believe that zoos serve useful function. Other believe that it is cruEssay - The Effect of Global Wormingplease are there any native english man or women can speak with mestudying alone and studying with orthersHow does advertising influence people's behavior?Telecommuting: Working for a company from home rather than in the office and...People have different ways of escaping the stress and difficulties of modern lifeFace to face communication it better than other types of communicationTeachers should encourage their students to question everything.Haste makes wasteTOEFLŪ essay: Which technology in the past fifty year has change your life the...Hai I am new to this TOEFLŪ forumAre details and examples compulsory for our essays?/