flexible; capable of withstanding stress; buoyant; elastic
incisive
resilient
delinquent
impeccable

Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion

To be a leader or a member of a group? | Are book more important than experience?
Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:23 am   Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion

Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion. Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Turn on your television and it is a frequent case that advertisement on cosmetics first emerges on the screen. Wander in downtown streets and fascinating pictures, which are posted alongside palmy streets one by one, with gorgeous men and women in exquisite clothes wearing shing and luxury jewelries hinder your footsteps. Clearly, personal appearances and fashion have already been a daily issue among us. And what I want to stress here is two bad disadvantages which are result from this predominant trend.

To begin with, being too concerned with personal appearances can be no doubt a huge enrollment of time which could be spent on other more valuable things. Since you have to be meticulous with your make-up and clothes and ponder whether they are fitted for the situation in that particular day. However, time pass by when you strike poses in front of mirrors. Simply take an university student as an example. Only through taking up every seconds studying can you have excellent performances in exams. It is prevalent acknowledged by employers that high GPA can somewhat reflect one's learning ability. Hence, good records in university relate to your future career to some extent. The experience of one of my roommates especially left me a deep impression on that point. During the first two years in university, she spent nearly one hour every morning spreading her concentrate and considering the clothes she should wear on that day, while at night she took more than one hour applying various skin care repairs on her delicate face and reading magazines on how to coordinate clothes in various combinations. Now it is our third year in university, she begins to receive rejections from intern companies. Poor academic records, which are due to lack of time in studying her subjects, maybe a forever stigma left on her curriculum vitae. Therefore, her miserable experience reminds me that the more valuable thing is the time not your personal appearance.

Next, following fashion is actually an investment of money in my view. You may acquire good job because your fashionable dressing leaves a good impression on your employer or benefit from the confidence that good-dressing makes you gain your self-esteem; However, there are opportunity costs you lost, such as the health diet you could purchase, which definitely more beneficial and practical to a human being. For instance, also as an university student, you receive a certain amount of money from your parents each month to support your life. Fashionable clothes are not cute earrings or fancy pens--their prizes may be equalled to your spending on your food for a whole month. Whether to choose a dress of your favourite brand while ordering your meal in less variety sacrifising your health or to choose wearing ordinary clothes while leaving more money on buying books or travelling at weekends have already spilt students in my university into two groups. Another roommate of mine once had chosen the prior one. As soon as she had her debit card received money from her parents, the first place she would headed toward was the shopping malls in our city. After a crazy day ended, she would appear on our dormitory door with her hands full of bags and leave the proceeding days in that month eating instant noodles. Though pretty she was, in the fourth university term, stomach ache made her cannot sleep sound at night. Finally, she took her doctor' advice that stop to eat too much instant noodles. What her lesson indicates me is that following fashion is not worth the sacrifice of your health.

Ultimately, pursuing on appearances and fashion has taken the amount of time and money of us to quite a degree so that our original life pivots have shifted. We ought to spend more time on studying or invest more money on health which would lead our life more fulfilling or beneficial later on.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a dorm mother and a resident
Llodds

Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:05 am   Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion

Turn on your television and it is a frequentLY THE case that advertisementS on cosmetics first emerges on the screen. Wander in down-town streets and fascinating pictures, which are posted alongside palmy streets one by one, with gorgeous men and women in exquisite clothes wearing shinY and luxurIOUS jewelLERY hinder your footsteps. Clearly, personal appearances and fashion have already been a daily issue among us. And what I want to stress here is two bad disadvantages which are A result from this predominant trend.

To begin with, being too concerned with ONE'S personal appearances can be no doubt a huge enrolment of time which could be spent on other more valuable things. Since you have to be meticulous with your make-up and clothes and ponder whether they are FITTING for the situation in that particular day. However, time passES by when you strike poses in front of mirrors. Simply take A university student as an example. Only through taking up every second studying can you have excellent performances in exams. It is prevalent acknowledged by employers that high GPA can somewhat reflect one's learning ability. Hence, good RESULTS in university relate to your future career to some extent. The experience of one of my room-mates especially left me a deep impression on that point. During the first two years in university, she spent nearly one hour every morning spreading her concentrate and considering the clothes she should wear on that day, while at night she took more than one hour applying various skin care repairs on her delicate face, and reading magazines on how to coordinate clothes in various combinations. Now it is our third year in university, she begins to receive rejections from intern companies. Poor academic records, which are due to lack of time BEING SPENT ON studying her subjects, may be forever A stigma left on her curriculum vitae. Therefore, her miserable experience reminds me that the MOSTvaluable thing is the time not your personal appearance.

Next, following fashion is actually an investment of money in my view. You may acquire A good job because your fashionable dressing leaves a good impression on your employer or benefit from the confidence that good-dressing makes you gain your self-esteem; However, there are opportunity costs you lost, such as the healthY diet you could FOLLOW, which IS definitely more beneficial and practical to a human being. For instance, also as A university student, you receive a certain amount of money from your parents each month to support your life. Fashionable clothes are not cute earrings or fancy pens--their prizes may be equalled to your spending on your food for a whole month.

//Whether to choose a dress of your favourite brand while ordering your meal in less variety, sacrificing your health or to choose wearing ordinary clothes while leaving more money on buying books or travelling at weekends have already spilt students in my university into two groups.// (FAR TOO LONG.)

Another room-mate of mine once had chosen the prior one. As soon as she had her debit card received money from her parents, the first place she would headed toward was the shopping malls in our city. After a crazy day ended, she would appear on our dormitory door with her hands full of bags and leave the proceeding days in that month eating instant noodles. Though pretty she was, in the fourth university term, stomach ache made her cannot sleep sound at night. Finally, she took her doctor' advice that stop to eat too much instant noodles. What her lesson indicates me is that following fashion is not worth the sacrifice of your health.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Good morning Llodds. This was a long and uninteresting essay, riddled with errors.
You appear to be an intelligent young woman. Your vocabulary is good, but your understanding of sentence structure in very weak.
Please read the article I posted yesterday on this thread."THE ABILITY TO IMPROVE."

If the advice there makes sense, then follow it.

KItos. 6/10
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:14 am   Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion

yeah,you got the point.
Perhaps the best advantage after taking my GRE test is that I improve my amount of vocabulary, but for a large part of them, I can just recognize them in reading.
anyway, thanks~
Llodds

Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:26 am   Nowadays, people put too much emphasis on personal appearances and fashion

I find that I get accustomed to using the expression "time on sth." In English, the correct expression seems "spend time on sth" or "time being spent on sth."
Llodds

Hardworking is more than lucky. Do you agree or disagree?People listen to music for different reasons and at different times. Why is musicWhether famous people deserve receiving high salaries or not?Important characteristics of a co-workerWhy is music so important in my life?Why is music important to many people?Choose one of the following transportation vehicles and explain why you think itMovies are popular all over the world. Explain why movies are so popular. Use reaI want some help, pleaseSome people say that advertising encourages us to buy things that we really do noEssay: Courses must be graded based On (Exams or class Participations)Do you like change?Which one person from history would you like to meet?