Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

serving as an aide; helpful; supportive; auxiliary
honest
assistant
different
close
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

to stiff someone?

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
as far as | what does "WAP" stand for?
listening exercisestell a friend
to stiff someone? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 11, 2010 21:58 pm   to stiff someone?

Hi, how often have you heard or used the phrase 'to stiff someone' meaning 'not pay someone what is due' or 'to screw someone'?

Many thanks,
Torsten

TOEIC listening, photographs: House painting
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

to stiff someone? #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 12, 2010 0:17 am   to stiff someone?

"To screw someone" means to cheat or swindle a person. The swindler gets the person to willingly pay for inferior goods, or to pay too much for them. Screwing somebody is not the same as stiffing them.

"To stiff someone" means just not to pay someone at all for something you're expected to pay for. We most often use this expression when a restaurant customer doesn't leave a tip. (In the US, there is no service charge in the restaurant bill, so the tip is our means of giving feedback. If you don't like the service, maybe you leave a nickel or some tiny amount of money to show that you haven't forgotten about the tip.) However, I suppose we also say that you stiff someone if you don't pay for merchandise you've received, etc. However, to stiff someone isn't the same thing as cheating or swindling them.

Anyway, the idiom is extremely common.
Jamie (K)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
to stiff someone? #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 12, 2010 0:26 am   to stiff someone?

When was the last time you stiffed someone then, Jamie? ;D
Language Coach

as far as | what does "WAP" stand for?
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
To or ForUseful Vocabulary for Business Executives - from A to LTranslation problems: There is barely a hint of this landís storied past..."as if he is crazy" vs "as if he was crazy"'repeat' or 'repetition'Why are some questions incomplete?propose + person + verbI have learned vs. I had learnedCould you help me with these expressions?Does vs IsI have a dificultywhat does this sentence mean?Questions on Ordinals