serving as an aide; helpful; supportive; auxiliary
honest
assistant
different
close

to stiff someone?

as far as | what does "WAP" stand for?
to stiff someone? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 11, 2010 21:58 pm   to stiff someone?

Hi, how often have you heard or used the phrase 'to stiff someone' meaning 'not pay someone what is due' or 'to screw someone'?

Many thanks,

TOEIC listening, photographs: House painting

to stiff someone? #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 12, 2010 0:17 am   to stiff someone?

"To screw someone" means to cheat or swindle a person. The swindler gets the person to willingly pay for inferior goods, or to pay too much for them. Screwing somebody is not the same as stiffing them.

"To stiff someone" means just not to pay someone at all for something you're expected to pay for. We most often use this expression when a restaurant customer doesn't leave a tip. (In the US, there is no service charge in the restaurant bill, so the tip is our means of giving feedback. If you don't like the service, maybe you leave a nickel or some tiny amount of money to show that you haven't forgotten about the tip.) However, I suppose we also say that you stiff someone if you don't pay for merchandise you've received, etc. However, to stiff someone isn't the same thing as cheating or swindling them.

Anyway, the idiom is extremely common.

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
to stiff someone? #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 12, 2010 0:26 am   to stiff someone?

When was the last time you stiffed someone then, Jamie? ;D
_________________

as far as | what does "WAP" stand for?
To or ForUseful Vocabulary for Business Executives - from A to LTranslation problems: There is barely a hint of this landís storied past..."as if he is crazy" vs "as if he was crazy"'repeat' or 'repetition'Why are some questions incomplete?propose + person + verbI have learned vs. I had learnedCould you help me with these expressions?Does vs IsI have a dificultywhat does this sentence mean?Questions on Ordinals