inclined to plunder or rob; preying on others; pillaging
predatory
utilitarian
notorious
mottled

A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood.

topic14: hard work or lucky brings success | A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your communi
A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 13, 2010 21:13 pm   A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood.

It has recently been announced that a new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. Do you support or oppose this plan? Why? Use specific reasons and details to support your answer.

Most people like watching movies. Films which are watched on the big screen are considerably enjoyable. Going to the movie center with friends and family is a delightful activity for most people. However, were a movie theater to be built in my neighborhood, I would be against this proposal, due to the following reasons.

To begin with, at this moment, if we desire to watch a movie, the nearest movie center is at about thirty minutes away. Then, provided a brand-new cinema were to be developed in my district, we would not have to travel far distances. However, vehicular traffic would increase in my area, since people from close neighborhoods would come here. This means that there would not be enough places to park and transit would become further chaotic. Residents would find it a bit troublesome to deal with an increasing air and noise pollutions produced by car-traffic.

On top of that, although people would have a recreational spot, streets would become overcrowed, as people who attended the likely movie-center would have to queue longer hours outside of the building. In addition, as most people would often watch movies at the lastest hours, it would be difficult for residents to put up with the noise of the crowds at night.

Last but not least, despite the fact that the installation of the spanking-new cinema would bring about the development of the economy of my area, the delinquency rates would continue to increase, as pick-pocketing would become much common. Vandalism at night would put residents’ safety at risk.

To sum up, the disadvantages of having a newer movie center in my community outweigh the advantages. This is mainly because in my locality we expect to live a peaceful life. Even though we have to travel long distances to watch a film, we do not want to suffer from more air and noise contamination, as well as further crimes, caused by the building of a newer movie center.

TOEFL listening discussions: What problem does the student have?
Milily

A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 16, 2010 14:14 pm   A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood.

Please, assess my essay, Kitos. Thanks in advance.
Milily

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 16, 2010 15:46 pm   A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood.

To begin with, at this moment, if we desire to watch a movie, the nearest movie center is at about thirty minutes away. Then, provided a brand-new cinema were to be developed in my district, we would not have to travel LONG distances. However, vehicular traffic would increase in my area, since people from close neighborhoods would come here. This means that there would not be enough places to park(,) and transit would become further chaotic. Residents would find it a bit troublesome to deal with THE increasing air and noise pollutions produced by car-traffic.

On top of that, although people would have a recreational spot, streets would become overcrowDed, as people who attended the INTENDED movie-center would have to queue longer hours outside of the building. In addition, as most people would often watch movies at the LATER hours, it would be difficult for residents to put up with the noise of the crowds at night.

Last but not least, despite the fact that the installation of the spanking-new cinema would bring about the development of the economy of my area, the delinquency rates would continue to increase, as pick-pocketing would become MORE common. Vandalism at night would put residents’ safety at risk.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good Mil.

Kitos.8.5/10
_________________

A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 16, 2010 15:59 pm   A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood.

Thanks for the corrections, Kitos.
Milily

Possible Measures in order to reduce smoking #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 17, 2010 22:42 pm   Possible Measures in order to reduce smoking

More and more people begin to smoke , although they exactly know the fatal consequences of smoking. What is the worst , that it effects nonsmokers negatively too , who are regularly exposed to smoke of the addicted. Particularly , because of this reason , I am totally in favour of taking some measures to reduce consumption of tobacco among the people.

To begin with , the first measure is to ban smoking in public places and at work , so above all nonsmokers would be protected. As a result of decreasing number of places and opportunities to smoke, people reduce smoking or give up it by themselves. In addition, this have positive influence on the younger smoker , who would not see so many mature nicotine addicted people around, whom they generally pattern. By the way, I mean whit public places restraunts, cafes, trains , but not private houses and streets.

On the top that , price rice of cigarette boxes is another disincentive measure espacially to young smokers , since most of them do not earn their own money , so they can afford this extra increasing expense.

What is more , people under 18 do not have to sell cigarrette and not be allowed to advertise directly or indirectly in printed or visual press. These ban and have to be implmented by government strictly , and who disobeys this implementation have to be punished toughly.

Finally , both government and nongovernmental organizations should carry out information campaign of bad effects of smoking ,and they may give a role to celebrities such as famous athletes , singers , and movie stars which have major impact on societies , in particular on the youngs.

To sum up, every year , millions of people are dying from diseases related with smoking . I strongly believe that all measures , as I mentioned above, should be taken indisputablely to protect us.

I graduated from german highschool , and until present I havent taken properly a education of english till present. Just since 3 months I try to learn english from internet sources and books by myself .Therefore , I have naturally lack of some fundementals. Sorry for my punctuation or other mistakes. However , I am determined to take over this problems in a short time.
Forzaali

13. Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people prefer #6 (permalink) Wed May 05, 2010 9:51 am   13. Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people prefer

Food is the primary need of a man.We all are working,to take money and to buy food of good quality. From my point of view,it is preferable to eat at food stands or restaurants.I think this way, because it makes more contributions to the society.Althought to prepare and eat food at home is more pleasant ,i prefer to eat at food stand or restaurants.
Three reasons convence me that eating at food stand or restaurant is better.
In the first place,to eat at food stands or restaurant ,rather then to prepare food by yourself is saving time.We live dynamically,and no one has the time to cook.We need fast solution to satisfy our hunger.Food stands and restaurants are that solution.They play important role in our community .With the help of food stands and restaurants we can quench our hunger quickly and spend less time consuming.Imagine if you are at work and you dont have the time to prepare a food by yourself.You can easily go to the closest food stand and buy a hotdog or pizza and relieve your hunger .

Second,to eat at food stand,rather than to prepare a food by yourself often save your money.If you go to a supermarket and start bying ingredients for a meal,a person is going to spend more money ,rather than to buy food from a stand or restaurant.For example,if you are really hungry you dont want to spend much money to buy food,you can easily grab a hotdog for like a 2 bucks or something.Moreover,food from stands and restaurants is substential and can satisfy person`s hunger for hours.
Finally,eating a food from a stand or restaurant is a good reason to go outside and have fun.
When i`m hanging out for example,i always go to a restaurant with my friends and that make my eating more enjoyable.
In conclusion,to eat at food stand or restaurant, rathen than to prepare food by yourself is beneficial to the society.Stands and restaurants are saving our time and our money.With their contribution we can releave your need of food,without any efforts .Besides we have more time to do other things.
Radamayak

A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood. #7 (permalink) Wed May 05, 2010 9:52 am   A new movie theater may be built in your neighborhood.

Please, assess my essay, Kitos.
Radamayak

13. Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people pre #8 (permalink) Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 am   13. Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people pre

Food is the primary need of a man.We all are working to take EARN money and WITH WHICH to buy food of good quality. From my point of view,it is preferable to eat at food stands or restaurants. I think this way, because it makes more contributions to the society. ALTHOUGH to prepare and eat food at home is more pleasant ,(I) prefer to eat at food stand or restaurants.
Three reasons convInce me that eating at food stand or restaurant is better.
In the first place, to eat at food stands or restaurantS(,) rather thAn to prepare food by yourself is saving time.
We live dynamically, and no one has the time to cook.We need fast solutionS to satisfy our hunger. Food stands and restaurants are that solution.
They play AN important role in our community. With the help of food stands and restaurants we can quench our hunger quickly and spend less time consuming.

Imagine if you are at work and you DO NOT have the time to prepare a food by yourself. You can easily go to the closest food stand and buy a hot-dog or pizza and relieve your hunger .

Second, to eat at A food stand, rather than to prepare a food by yourself often saveS your money. If you go to a supermarket and start bUying ingredients for a meal, a person is going to spend more money, rather than to buy food from a stand or restaurant.
For example, if you are really hungry you DO NOT want to spend much money to buy food, you can easily grab a hot-dog for like a TWO DOLLARS or something.
Moreover, food from stands and restaurants is substAntial and can satisfy A persons hunger for hours.

Finally, eating a food from a stand or restaurant is a good reason to go outside and have fun.
When i`m I AM hanging out for example, (I) always go to a restaurant with my friends and that makeS my eating more enjoyable.

In conclusion, to eat at A food stand or restaurant ratheR than to prepare food by yourself is beneficial to the society. Stands and restaurants are saving our time and our money. With their contribution we can RELIEVE OUR need of food without any efforts. Besides we WILL have more time to do other things.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good morning Radamayak. I was impressed with you use of short sentences, but not with your punctuation.

Always capital "I, not "i".
Do not used co;tractions. can't, won't, don't, etc,.
Never "Bucks" ... dollars!

After the final word in your sentence/phrase place a comma or full stop hard up against the final letter, and THEN, leave a space. Punctuation is considered vital to be correct in your exam.

This was a good essay otherwise.

Kitos. 8/10.
_________________

13. Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people pre #9 (permalink) Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 am   13. Some people prefer to eat at food stands or restaurants. Other people pre

Always capital "I, not "i".
Do not used contractions. can't, won't, don't, etc,.
Never "Bucks" ... dollars!

Finally, always post your work as a "New Topic", and not as an addition to the work of another student. This will avoid it being ignored on another occasion.

This was a good essay otherwise.

Kitos. 8/10.
_________________

Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city.Should governments spend more money on improving roads and highways or should govclass participation or final examcourse Graded classSome people like to watch news on television, other people prefer to read the newAdvantages and Disadvantages of doing sports.Past experienceGovernments should make more effort to promote alternative sources of energy.DevelopmentIt is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instSpeaking Partner?Integrated Writing Taskintegrated writing ...how to spend the bequest