spiteful; vindictive
jaunty
malicious
biased
boorish

Career paths: Some people pursue career paths that lead to management positions.

Luck vs hard work | Smoking should be banned in all public places.
Career paths: Some people pursue career paths that lead to management positions. #1 (permalink) Thu May 06, 2010 12:12 pm   Career paths: Some people pursue career paths that lead to management positions.

Good afternoon, Kitos!
could you, please, check my essay?thanks in advance!

Some people pursue career paths that lead to management positions. Other people follow career paths leading to positions of individual responsibility, which do not involve managing others.

Which career path are you more likely to follow?

Everybody during his life has to make a difficult decision about his career: whether to be a boss, or to be responsible only for his work. Of course, this choice depends on your traits of character. I mean, that most people are not leaders by their nature, and can not control somebody’s activity. But all these tests on personality typing are not useless: it is sometimes too difficult to listen to your personal preferences.

I can not say, that I am absolutely sure, but I think, that a position of individual responsibility suits me more. The first reason is that I am majoring in mathematics, and it is better to create something by yourself in science, than to try to find errors in other people’s works. Even in science, there are some big projects, where team work is needed. Everything is usually divided into small parts, and each scientist is responsible for his particular research. And there is always a person, who is relatively good at all fields, and can check the results of each worker. But I would still prefer not to be this person, because, I am much more interested in my sphere, and I do not want to know a little about everything, and as a result know nothing. I am really inspired by my research, and do not want to spend my time to manage others.

Moreover, if you want to be a boss, you need to have an ability to communicate with a lot of different people. You can not avoid these contacts, as you all are connected by the common work, which must be done in time. Sometimes it is difficult to say to your colleagues, who have already become your friends, that they are wrong. It can ruin friendship, so you must have some skills of a good psychologist. It is too much for me, because I want to be concentrated on mathematics, communicating only with my friends in my free time.

Another obstacle in the work of a boss is that you must be ready to correct mistakes of other people. It is not pleasant to spend your evenings at work, correcting their mistakes, when they are with their families. They can not be accused, as they have done their work. They do not have other responsibilities, but you have a lot of them: for instance, check their work and correct the mistakes.
To sum up, I would prefer to be responsible only for my work. Only in this case, I will be able to be absorbed in my research, and have enough free time for my family and friends.

TOEFL listening discussions: What did the young man do during his last holiday?
Ailana

Career paths #2 (permalink) Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm   Career paths

Good afternoon, Kitos!

Everybody during his life has to make a difficult decision about his career: whether to be a boss, or to be responsible only for his work. Of course, this choice depends on your traits of character. I mean, that most people are not leaders by their nature, and cannot control somebody else's activities. But all these tests on personality typing are not useless: it is sometimes too difficult to voice your personal preferences.
I cannot say that I am absolutely sure, but I think, that a position of individual responsibility suits me more.

The first reason is that I am majoring in mathematics, and it is better to create something by yourself in science, than to try to find errors in other people’s works. Even in science, there are some big projects where team work is needed. Everything is usually divided into smaller parts, and each scientist is responsible for his particular research.

And there is always a person, who is relatively good at all fields, who can check the results of each worker. But I would still prefer not to be this person, because, I am much more interested in my own sphere, and I do not want to know a little about everything, and as a result know nothing. I am really inspired by my research, and do not want to spend my time in managing others.

Moreover, if you want to be a boss, you need to have an ability to communicate with a lot of different people. You cannot avoid these contacts, as you all are connected by the common work, which must be done within a specific timeframe. Sometimes it is difficult to say to your colleagues, who have already become your friends, that they are wrong. It can ruin friendships, so you must have some skills as a good psychologist. It is too much for me, because I want to concentrate on my mathematics, communicating only with my friends in my free time.

Another obstacle in the work of a boss is that you must be ready to correct mistakes of other people. It is not pleasant to spend your evenings at work, correcting their mistakes, when they are with their families. They cannot be accessed, as they have done their work. They do not have other responsibilities, but you have, a lot of them: for instance, checking their work and correcting any mistakes.

To sum up, I would prefer to be responsible only for my own work. In this case, I will be able to become absorbed in my research, and yet, have enough free time for my family and friends.
.................................................................................................................

Good afternoon Ailana. A very impressive essay indeed. I imagine your company value you highly.

Kitos. 10/10*****
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Career paths: Some people pursue career paths that lead to management positions. #3 (permalink) Thu May 06, 2010 13:02 pm   Career paths: Some people pursue career paths that lead to management positions.

Thank you a lot!
Ailana

integrated writing task: twin studyNon-fiction books or fiction books?Working for my own bussinessImproving roads and highways, or improving public transportationSuccess, its meaning changes from one person to anathor, for someone to reach...Integrated writing: The Sociology Department has been receiving compliant from...NEWCOMERS PLEASE READ THIS.The decisions that people make quickly are always wrong.When people move to another countryTraffic congestion is becoming a huge problem for many major cities.09 CE Eng writing paperWhat are the characteristics of a good teacher?Some people are always in a hurry to go places and get things done