to provide with the required supplies, tools and items
equip
privatize
inconvenience
overlap

Why do people named William get called Bill?

a story written by life | I want to tell the word
Why do people named William get called Bill? #1 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 5:58 am   Why do people named William get called Bill?

I'm curious about why people named William are called Bill instead of Will.:)
_________________
Please feel free to correct me if you find any mistakes in my posts.
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

Why do people named William get called Bill? #2 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 am   Why do people named William get called Bill?

William is sometimes shortened to Will too. It is because it was shortened to Will originally, that it became 'Bill':

Will(iam) > Bill was, in fact, part of a great 13th-14th century trend of swapping some other letter for the original first letter of a name as rhyming slang. There were hundreds at the time but most have now died out. Other names resulting from this process include: Polly from Molly, Bob from Rob (from Robert), Hick and Dick (from Richard), Hodge from Roger, Molly from Mary, Sally or Sadie from Sarah, Dolly from Dorothy, Harry from Harold, Betty or Bess from Beth (from Elizabeth).

Many of the original names from which these nicknames were formed were Norman French names. William is the anglisied version of Guillumme, an old French name. It appears that the changes were part of the English adapting them to their own language. Apparently one impetus (there were others) in the trend for letter swapping at that particular time was a dislike amongst the native English for the harsh Norman French "r".
_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Why do people named William get called Bill? #3 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 11:59 am   Why do people named William get called Bill?

Thank you so much for you crystal clear explanation BN. Could you please sate my curiosity once again? Is m' in your siganture short for my? 'em is short for them and doin' for doing?
_________________
Infin1ty

Location: Beijing, China

Websites to get penpal or language exchange friend...How to get the contact details of WEBANHVAN?Life, or lie?I need Participants for my Researchget marriedPLEASE READ THIS!Ever been ripped off?Some picture from the past!From Germany to Yorkshire, via the LuftwaffeGo OutsideGreek Riots - could they spread?Research of Online Language Learning PreferencesVoting In Britain For War. Take Your Pick