inherent quality; characteristic
bane
fallacy
attribute
consternation

Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...>

Essay: why do people visit museums | Benefits of sport in business life
Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...> #1 (permalink) Sat May 15, 2010 11:56 am   Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...>

Every generation of people is different in important ways. How is your generation different from your parents’ generation? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer.

Everything is changing so fast, that it is really strange, how, for example, parents of my generation got used to new life and its pace, especially, when we speak about Lithuanian nation and a few others, which got free of Soviet Union. So, I will mention the most significant changes, which have recently happened.

First of all, the biggest difference is a political pattern, which influences every citizen so much. For instance, earlier the socialistic system was dominating (equality), while now we have the capitalist system, when not all citizens have jobs, money, but all have freedom and can choose, what kind of life they want to live.

Furthermore, values have changed remarkably. Our parents were inhibited, could not express themselves, had to be a part of the system and forget their belief, national and religious celebrations. Certainly, then people were inspired of their parents and their spirit of fight. So, the majority of Lithuanians had a tough faith and also values such as family, unity, peace of mind, nature. In comparison, nowadays youths are busy with other things such as entertainments and new technologies.

Actually, the progress of new technologies are general to all the world. In the past, our parents lived much „slower“. Computers and mobile phones were rare (in Europe). People communicated almost only in real, what now is absolutely opposite: it is hard to find a person, who has no mobile phone. Actually, youths are addicted to it as well as to Internet or television. This generation is educated more by commerce and virtual reality than by parents and real people around.

All in all, the difference between my and my parents' generations is huge in a lot of ways: political, cultural, spiritual, academical, even the range of entertainments is otherwise. The world during the second half of the 20th century made a magnificent progress and it seems, that the next generation after us will not stop going ahead.

TOEFL listening discussions: How is the young woman financing her education?
Teysun

Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...> #2 (permalink) Sat May 15, 2010 12:11 pm   Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...>

Everything is changing so fast, that it is really strange, how for example, parents of my generation HAVE GOTTEN used to THIS new life and its pace, especially, when we speak about THE Lithuanian nation and a few others, which BROKE free FROM THE Soviet Union. I will mention the most significant changes, which have recently happened.

First of all, the biggest difference is a political pattern, which influences every citizen so much. For instance, earlier the socialistic system was dominating (equality), while now we have the capitalist system, when not all citizens have jobs, money, but all have freedom and can choose whatEVER kind of life they want to live.

Furthermore, values have changed remarkably. Our parents were inhibited, could not express themselves, had to be a part of the system and forget their beliefS, national and religious celebrations. Certainly, people then were inspired BY their parents and their spirit TO fight. So, the majority of Lithuanians had a tough faith and also values such as family, unity, peace of mind, nature. In comparison, nowadays youths are busy with other things such as entertainments and new technologies.

Actually, the progress of new technologies are general to all the world. In the past, our parents lived much „slower“. Computers and mobile phones were rare (in Europe). People communicated almost only in real-TIME, BUT now IT is absolutely opposite: it is hard to find a person who has no mobile phone. Actually, youths are addicted to it as well as to Internet or television. This generation is educated more by commerce and virtual reality than by parents and real people around.

All in all, the difference between my OWN and my parents' generations is huge in a lot of ways: political, cultural, spiritual, academical, even the range of entertainments ARE otherwise. The world during the second half of the 20th century HAS made magnificent progress and it seems that the next generation after us will not stop going ahead.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Not bas Teysun.

_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...> #3 (permalink) Sat May 15, 2010 13:11 pm   Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...>

Thank you. :)
By the way, I'd like to ask you - what's the difference between got and gotten? Actually, I haven't heard this verb form "gotten" earlier..
Teysun

Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...> #4 (permalink) Sat May 15, 2010 14:51 pm   Essay: Every generation of people is different in important ways <...>

Hello Teysun, I'm not surprised at that, because it is really a plural form of "get"-
Not many people use it nowadays, but it is, in my opinion, a far nicer sounding word than get.
I often try to sneak seldom used words into my stories and poems in the hopes of piquing the interest of students as to the words origin.
_________________

PPST Writing: Young people who attend college immediately lack seriousnessPPST Writing: Censorship of songs lyrics, television shows and offensive speechTopic 37: Progress is always goodThe teenage problems and difficultiesTOEFL® essay: "Why do you want to be a businessman?"fatally ill peopleDo you learn better by yourself or with teacher...Essay: The twenty-first centuryMy first essay (I am a dreamer maintaining dream of studying abroad in Beijing)please correct my mistakesplease correct my mistakesTOEFL® speaking section: What is your happiest childhood memory?TOEFL® speaking section: What is your favorite place to visit on weekends?