to paralyze with horror, fear or surprise
consummate
petrify
fluctuate
scrutinize

The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities.

TOEFL® topic 20: A good neighbor (Neighbors are the people who live near us...) | Who's going to take the TOEFL® test on 16 May?
The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities. #1 (permalink) Mon May 17, 2010 9:10 am   The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities.

The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities. Only governments can solve this problem. To what extent do you agree or disagree?

As the world’s population increases, the demand for households is also on the rise, which in turn leads to insufficient housing. Some say only the leaders of the countries can tackle this problem, while others suggest that there are other individuals and companies that can help with such difficulty. In this essay, I will examine the two sides and state what I think personally.
It cannot be denied that governments play a vital role in many of our lives, especially when we encounter problems that we cannot solve by ourselves. For example, when the population of a country rises, normally it is driven by immigration and higher birth rates, which can be traced back to certain policies that the government has taken. Therefore, if the government sets specific rules trying to control the number of residents, it would undoubtedly change the situation. Another reason for the lack of enough properties is the increase in the number of one person households. This is often due to factors such as divorce rates, ageing population and teenagers leaving home earlier. Consequently, the government should limit the number of houses one single person could own.
On the other hand, under particular circumstances, falling house prices and temporary collapses in house building can cause housing supplies to be less than housing demands in the long term. Such common condition can be fixed by house agencies, trying not to lower the value of existing home prices too much. As a result, buyers will consider more deeply before making the decision on buying the house.
In my opinion, there are numerous ways that could help with the shortage in housing. Thus, being the most powerful group of a nation, governments and local authorities certainly can help the most to address this problem.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture in biology class
Nancy0923

The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities. #2 (permalink) Mon May 17, 2010 10:26 am   The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities.

As the world’s population increases, the demand for households is also on the rise, which in turn leads to insufficient housing. Some say only the leaders of the countries can tackle this problem, while others suggest that there are other individuals and companies that can help with such difficultIES. In this essay, I will examine the two sides and state what I think personally.

On the other hand, under particular circumstances, falling house prices and temporary collapses in house building can cause housing supplies to be less than housing demands in the long term. Such common conditionS can be fixed by house agencies, trying not to lower the value of existing home prices too much. As a result, buyers will consider more deeply before making the decision on buying the house.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good morning Nancy. An excellent essay.

Kitos. 9.5/10
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemStart exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities. #3 (permalink) Wed May 19, 2010 7:46 am   The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities.

Actually, I got the same subject in my IELTS exam which was set in 15.05.2010.

But unfortunately, I did not write about severe social consequences as you did here. I am afraid that this might affect my score.

You know in IELTS they are highly strict on each part of the question.

In the same time you have to write with and against the subject as you did, but my against writing was that :-

Some people believe that houses exploit huge amount of lands, and they can live in other types of accommodation for instance, flats and compensate the house by building other necessary needs like factories, companies which are more beneficial.

To summarize instead of writing that not only government can tackle this shortage, people or individuals can also solve it.
I flop over the topic ( I thought that to what extend do you agree or disagree was related to the first first part of the question. I wrote about other types of accommodations which can compensate the shortage of housing.

Please kitos and Nancy what do you think about these mistakes?
Samiralbayati

The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities. #4 (permalink) Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 am   The shortage in housing has severe social consequences in big cities.

Please kitos can you read my last comment?
Samiralbayati

TOEFL® topic 21: Money is the most important thing in life.Essay for integrated writing: Reading passage tells us about the benefits of workCelebrities have a tremendous influence on the young, and for the reason,...The government should spend more money on improving access to the InternetPlaying games teaches us about lifeIf you could change one important thing about your hometown, what would you chaThe characteristics we are born with have much more influence.University students should be required to take basic science classes even if theySports teaches us lessons about life.help for Brown university!Grades encourage the students... Agree or Disagree...hi, i have tried to correct punctuation in my essay.thanks for taking time to ediWhat is the most important thing in your life?