caption beneath an illustration
coal
inspiration
episode
underline

Main Differences between Formal and Informal English

ESL Forums | English for Beginners
How to improve English listening? | Look at me without pair of glasses
Main Differences between Formal and Informal English #1 (permalink) Fri May 21, 2010 21:32 pm   Main Differences between Formal and Informal English

One of the greatest fears affecting non native speakers of English is not just being misunderstood but also being inappropriate when trying to express something. People often speak of language as being correct or incorrect. It would be more accurate to refer to particular language structures as being formal or informal, appropriate or inappropriate for a specific context.

In everyday conversation we do not have to follow the rules of grammar as carefully as we would in a formal address or a business letter. If we adhere too closely to formal rules of grammar in an informal situation, we may come across as being stuffy and unnatural. It is like wearing a tuxedo or a formal gown to an ordinary business meeting. Formal English follows rules of grammar very strictly. Sentences tend to be longer and more complex. It tends to be used in professional and business situations. It is also better organized and thought out.

Informal English on the other hand is generally used with friends and family. A number of grammar expressions have common forms which differ in their formal or informal use. These differences are noted both in written and spoken English. However, they are most notable in written English.

As seen in ESL lessons, participating effectively not only requires a solid grasp of English grammar, but also an understanding of key communication factors. If you want more helpful language hints as to the most appropriate forms of English or key points to take into consideration each time you are using English, read on.

Contracted Forms
Formal - Don't use contracted forms, use the entire auxiliary verb: They have lived in New York for many years.
Informal - Use contracted forms: They've lived in New York for many years.

Relative Structures
Formal - Use relative structures: The woman thought that it was important to be on time.
Informal - Drop certain relative structures: The woman thought it was important to be on time.

The Use of 'Whom'
Formal - Use 'whom' as an object: Whom have they chosen for the position?
Informal - Use 'who' as an object: Who have they chosen for the position?

Auxiliary Verb Usage
Formal - Always use the full form of an auxiliary: Have you finished your work?
Informal - Sometimes the auxiliary verb is dropped in informal speech. Note: This is often grammatically incorrect, but is certainly common in everyday usage: Finished your work?

Word Choice
Formal - Many words tend to be used in more formal situations. For example, certain verbs tend to be used in formal situations, but have other synonyms (often phrasal verbs) that are used in informal situations. Also, it uses more vocabulary derived from French and Latin (bigger words) It uses more synonyms and doesn't repeat the same words as much. The police investigated the situation.
Informal synonym: We looked into the situation.

Passive structures
Formal - It uses more indirect language, making it less personal. The student was given a book.
Informal synonym: We gave the student a book.

Rachel Clarkson is an English teacher at LCI English.
Englishlci80224

Location: Denver, CO

Main Differences between Formal and Informal English #2 (permalink) Wed Jun 30, 2010 17:17 pm   Main Differences between Formal and Informal English

what is different operator and Auxiliary in linguistic? Would you explain more information about the negative questions with operator and negative questions with auxiliary? Several people give the answer but its not relevant with the category and functions. thanks
Khalsiah

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
ESL Forums | English for Beginners All times are GMT + 1 Hour
What does it mean "very test question"?Prepositions and moreI am not new but i need huge assitance from you allhow to create present simple tenceBe Prepared For Employment - Understanding Salary OptionsBe Prepared For Your Meeting - Understanding Contract TermsBusiness Don’ts - What ESL Students Should and Shouldn’t Do in an International BUseful Business Presentation Tips for ESL StudentsHave a seat or Take a seat?Special PassiveUseful Business Phrases for ESL StudentsNeed help on learning English. I would like to learn basic english grammer daily.English lesson 7: My name is Estela, I'm from Argentina and now I live in...