important; consequential; meaningful; having meaning; of a considerable amount
inclusive
present
quality
significant

How do we use "just"?

Please help me with letter writing! | It was my pleasure
How do we use "just"? #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:08 am   How do we use "just"?

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Chit Chat: At the Bus Stop", question 7

Mike: Then it's just ......... well it's not raining.

(a) as
(b) more
(c) much
(d) than

ESL/EFL Test #54 "Chit Chat: At the Bus Stop", answer 7

Mike: Then it's just as well it's not raining.

Correct answer: (a) as
_________________________

when can I use just?

Stephania
Stephania

Use of 'just' #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:55 am   Use of 'just'

Just has the idea of exactly in this sentence. That's just right means that exactly/perfectly right.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
How do we use "just"? #3 (permalink) Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:15 am   How do we use "just"?

Can someone explain to me the meaning of "as well" ? Is that something like "also" ?
Marko

How do we use "just"? #4 (permalink) Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:34 am   How do we use "just"?

.
Here, 'as well' means 'with equivalent, comparable, or more favorable effect <might just as well have stayed home>' (Webster's Online). In other contexts, though, it can mean 'also': "I like sushi, and sashimi as well".
.
_________________

How do we use "just"? #5 (permalink) Sun Aug 17, 2008 13:40 pm   How do we use "just"?

Marko

How do we use "just"? #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 21:07 pm   How do we use "just"?

Please write this sentence:''Then it's just as well it's not raining.'' for me with other, eqiuivalent words. Thank you in advance!

How do we use "just"? #7 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 22:59 pm   How do we use "just"?

.
It's good that it isn't raining.
.
_________________

How do we use "just"? #8 (permalink) Tue Jun 02, 2009 13:58 pm   How do we use "just"?

Hey all,
"Then it's just as well it's not raining." is a form of expression.
Someone just explained it to me with the following examples:

"Just as well there was no-one at the party, as a fire broke out in the building." (It's good no-one was at the party, as a fire broke out in the building).
"Oh! You have a pool! Just as well i brought my bathers!" (Oh! You have a pool! It's good i brought my bathers!).

Hope this helps:)
Honorfield

Location: Melbourne

Meaning of "as well" #9 (permalink) Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:35 am   Meaning of "as well"

"As well" originally meant (and in my view should only mean) "equally well." It's now in vogue to use "as well" as a synonym for "also" or "too." This usage is unfortunate. Consider these two sentences:
"I speak English and German as well."
"I speak English and German, too."

Ten years ago the distinction was clear. "As well" allowed the speaker to say concisely that she speaks both language, and speaks them equally well." On the other hand, by using "too" instead, the speaker wasn't making any claim to equal facility in the two languages. Recently people have begun to think that "as well" is a smarter sounding way of saying "too", without realizing that they are dumbing down the language.

Broadcast school is to blame. Listen to a weather forecast if you don't know what I mean. Changes are that about every other sentence will contain "as well" (along with "area"--e.g., "rain activity in coastal areas" instead of "rain along the coast"). You'll often hear sentences which include both "also" and "as well", as the reporter slides between the natural way of talking, and a Newspeak in which "as well" has come to have no meaning, and has thus become only a noise, signifying nothing expect perhaps an implicit "don't you just love my newly mentholated Broadcast School voice"?!
Bripearce

How do we use "just"? #10 (permalink) Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:49 am   How do we use "just"?

Ten years ago the distinction was clear.

Your etymology is a little imaginative, Bri.

"As upon thee, Macbeth, their speeches shine--
Why, by the verities on thee made good,
May they not be my oracles as well,
And set me up in hope?"
_________________

How do we use "just"? #11 (permalink) Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:19 am   How do we use "just"?

'it s just as well it is nt raining'......it is to imply that 'another good thing that it s not raining'. lets consider this:

Mary: Today we are going to the park.
Cherry: Oh no....is it necessary?
Mary:Dont refuse. We have ample time with us to kill. Then, its just as well it is nt raining.
Bharatpitti

How do we use "just"? #12 (permalink) Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 pm   How do we use "just"?

Dear Mister Micawber,
Would you please explain me about this sentence’ might just as well have stayed home>' (Webster's Online)'that you said in your explanation?
With regard
Mitra
_________________
Peace&Love
Mitra584

Location: Iran

How do we use "just"? #13 (permalink) Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:34 pm   How do we use "just"?

What part do you not understand? The definition I've already given explains that 'might just as well' = with equivalent, comparable, or more favorable effect.
_________________

How do we use "just"? #14 (permalink) Sat Jul 03, 2010 13:20 pm   How do we use "just"?

Dear Mister Micaber,
Thanks a lot for your explanation.:)
with regard
Mitra
_________________
Peace&Love
Mitra584

Location: Iran

"As well" #15 (permalink) Sat Jul 03, 2010 18:03 pm   "As well"

"May as well" and "might as well" are idiomatic, and long predate the current usage of "as well" to mean "too." Even in those constructions, "as well" means "equally well", not "too", though the distinction can be subtle in some contexts. The Shakespeare example is no different. I've search through Shakespeare's collected works and the King James Bible, and find "as well" is used sparingly, and almost always as a conjunction, not as a sentence ender to replace (or reinforce) "also", "likewise" and "too." In contrast, I found one thread on the subject of "as well" who was annoyed to the point that she counted how many times the weatherperson said "as well" before mixing in an "also"--over 50! In watching sports programs, I've noticed that the announcers use it over and over just for the sound of it, with no intended meaning. It must be worth a couple of points in the Scrabble-like system they learn in broadcast school, where it's not so much what you say, as whether you actually in fact do utilize exisiting opportunity to impact actual available area in terms of listening experience throughout entire broadcasting process AS WELL... (I apologize for using "of", which I realize from watching t.v. and radio is a disfavored word now, but it seems to still be acceptable Newspeak when used in the hallowed, always ready and sophisticated compound preposition "in terms of."
Bripearce

Does your cat purr?Elephants never forgetwhat time do you clock off?turn the clock back.What's the difference between "happen" and "occur"?What's the difference between verbs check and test?What does 'him' mean?why do I should choose worry not think?play vs controlIdiomatic expression: close proximityHow do we use "just"?, page 2Haste vs. hurryIdiom: before the storm breaks