answering; reacting (esp. positively or sympathetically)
responsive
located
slantwise
available

Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

sounds like /or looks like | "rub in" and "rub someone's nose in"
Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us. #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:58 am   Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

"It will be a great honour to us". Is it correct?
Sam.k

honour #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:02 am   honour

Yes, it is.
Mordant

Location: United States

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us. #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:34 am   Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

Hi Sam,

Your sentence:
It will be a great honour to us
sounds odd to me without knowing the context. I would say: It will be a great honour for us . Perhaps you could explain some more about how you want to use the sentence.

_________________

Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us. #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:40 am   Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

To me, the difference is whether someone's act honors you or your act honors someone else. That, of course, often comes down to perception.

I would interpret the original poster's version as something honoring "us."

Your decision to rerecord our song is an honor to us.

I would take "honor for us" as an act we are doing for someone else or something that humbles us because the other person is so great.

It would be an honor for us to introduce you at the award ceremony.
Your decision to rerecord our song is an honor for us (because you are so great).

I would interpret the latter sentence as "We feel honored (and humbled) to have someone as great as you record a song by us."
Mordant

Location: United States

Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us. #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:44 am   Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

I feel if you are using 'to' in this context, you need to bridge the gap and say something like: It is an honour you are showing/shown/granted/(to) bestowed on us.

_________________

Invite: It will be a great honour to me... #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:54 am   Invite: It will be a great honour to me...

If somebody accepts my invitation, can I say "It will be a great honour to me"?
Sam.k

Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us. #7 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:55 am   Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

Sometimes that may be clearer, but I think there are many times that would be unnecessary.

Your moral courage is an honor to your parents.

I feel that "for" would make it seem we were referring to the parents' perception or our assumptions about their perception.
Mordant

Location: United States

invite #8 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:01 am   invite

I would say yes.

If you want to place more emphasis on your humility, you can use "for." I suspect this is what you have in mind anyway.
Mordant

Location: United States

Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us. #9 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:33 am   Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

I think we'll have to beg to differ on this. This isolated 'to' in this context still sounds wonky to me.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us. #10 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:13 am   Usage of honour: It will be a great honour to us.

I am interested and have a feeling that,

A great honour to us = A great honour (coming from the source of being honoured) to us >> to route the honour.
A great honour for us = A great honour for (the benefit of) us >> to equate us with the honour.
Haihao

Location: Japan

He is punctual to the minuteguide me how to improve written englishhad been usageMake and drill a role play in a more extended conversationThe back of my shoe is rubbing.Sentence structure: many insects, and insects include some of the greatest...Masterclass vs Open lessonbrother Zac, himself a veteran of a solo sailWho questions: Who are going to travel...?CAE Writing task: review of the exhibitionhave pity on/forPlease call me your convenient time for any sort of help I can doParaphrasing: One of the reasons why the dollar has not yet collapsed, and may...