deceptive; crooked; twisting; circuitous; indirect
devious
clamorous
nocturnal
fleeting

Customs and traditions

Wealth leads to unhappiness? | There are times when lying is acceptable
Customs and traditions #1 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 14:38 pm   Customs and traditions

Hello, Kitosdad, and other lively people of this forum=) Hope this essay is not too bad

When people move to another country, some of them decide to follow the customs of the new country. Others prefer to keep their own customs. Compare these two choices. Which one do you prefer? Support your answer with specific details.

People from foreign nations usually have different customs, habits and even behavior. Sometimes it is quite hard to decide, whether one should keep the traditions of the native country, or follow the customs of the place, where he or she is going to live. From the one hand, maintaining the traditions is the essential part of any culture; however, some of them might seem too strange for the people of other countries. If I moved to the different place, I would prefer keeping those traditions, which cannot hurt the other people.

From one point of view, we are used to our traditions and we love some of them. For instance, in my country there is a custom "masletitsa", which I like very much. It is a funny holiday, when we say "good bye" to the winter and meet the spring. This day we cook pancakes, burn "maslenitsa", which is a big straw doll, and ask forgiveness to each other. I think other countries celebrate it too, but even if they do not, I think it is not a problem to keep it anywhere else.

On the other hand, some traditions may be strange, and people from the other country may think, that you do not respect their culture. As I know, for example, some Asian countries do not shake hands, greeting to each other. Others think that looking at the eyes during the conversation is also a very bad way of behavior. If I know about such specific features, I will never do these things in their country so that be polite.

In my opinion, it is better to find a compromise. Some customs may be clear to the people of another country, others may cause misconceptions. I personally suppose that I must respect traditions of a place, where I am just a guest. I love some customs and traditions of my country, but I will keep them only if I am sure, that they are not looked too unpleasant or offensive to others.

In conclusion, both these positions have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think that, during the life abroad, it is better to think well before doing something I am used to in my homeland.

TOEFL listening lectures: Why do the Lascaux cave paintings probably not qualify as graffiti?
Arseni

Location: Moscow

Customs and traditions #2 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 15:09 pm   Customs and traditions

People from foreign nations usually have different customs, habits and even behavior. Sometimes it is quite hard to decide whether one should keep the traditions of ONE'S native country, or follow the customs of the place where he or she is going to live. ON the one hand, maintaining the traditions is the essential part of any culture; however, some of them might seem too strange for the people of other countries. If I moved to the different place, I would prefer keeping those traditions, which cannot hurt the other people.

On the other hand, some traditions may be strange, and people from the other country may think that you do not respect their culture. As I know, for example, some Asian countries do not shake hands WHEN greeting to each other. Others think that looking at the OTHERS eyes during the conversation is also a very bad way of behavior. If I know about such specific features, I will never do these things in their country so that TO be polite.

In my opinion, it is better to find a compromise. Some customs may be clear to the people of another country, others may cause misconceptions. I personally suppose that I must respect THE traditions of THE place where I am just a guest. I love some customs and traditions of my country, but I will keep them only if I am sure that they are not looked UPON AS BEING too unpleasant or offensive to others.

In conclusion, both OF these positions have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think that during ONE'S life abroad, it is better to think well before doing something I am WELL used to in my homeland.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good work Arseni. Good enough for 9/10

Kitos. Well done.
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Customs and traditions #3 (permalink) Fri Jun 11, 2010 16:25 pm   Customs and traditions

good news, Kitos. Thank you!
Arseni

Location: Moscow

I don't expect perfection... by Kitosdad.In some organizations, promotions are based on seniority, while others are basedTattoo and its influence.Grades (marks) encourage students to learnCompetition is a destructive force in SocietyBeing able to speak well is better than being able to write wellMusic is important to many peopleUniversities should give the same amount of money to their students’ sports.Conversation: I've taken the segments on pronunciation out-- I think we can loseFormal letter: Doting Parents a Cause of Indiscipline in SchoolsPrep Forum for the TOEFL® Test and Essay Samples CollectionA company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory near your...Television versus Books