seasoning
velocity
runniness
malcontent
condiments

GRE® essay: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore...

GRE Practice tests Increase your GRE test score with
plus 3.750 GRE word flash cards
ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test
Students should bring certain skepticism to whatever they study. | Kaplan or Princeton Review GRE® Course Preparation
GRE essay: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore... #1 (permalink) Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:28 am   GRE essay: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore...

"The best way to teach — whether as an educator, employer, or parent — is to praise positive actions and ignore negative ones."

———————————————

I strongly disagree that praising positive actions and ignoring negative ones is a reasonable approach for the education process. The biggest problem of this method is that someone's appraisal is usually not the only result of a person's deviant behavior. He may still have benefits of what he has done, if positive consequences of his deeds overweigh negative ones.

The education process for every one of us starts in childhood. Children have little experience, so they do not know well rules that govern the world around them yet. They may not realize that if their parents forbid them to do something, it may be only because the action is dangerous. For example, some children can be stopped from sticking nails into a socket only by the fear of receiving a punishment from their parents.

Small children also do not know which behavior is appropriate in the society they are to live in. If they do not learn early that other people do not like certain type of behavior, the results of a conflict may be much more serious, than their parents' lecturing.

The main purpose of educators is to teach their students effectively. Students who are only beginning to study a subject, may not be able to estimate their progress themselves. In addition, if the teacher ignores their mistakes, they may believe it to be right in further. This may interfere with their education and practice in the future.

Although university students are relatively responsible in general, there are still ones who do not care much about studies. For example, one of my friends did not care about his marks nor about professors' opinions. It was possible mostly because nobody was going to actually fail him. Eventually, one of the professors failed him twice on a critical exam. My friend has only one try left, otherwise he was to be expelled. Only this sad situation finally made him study and pass the exam.

What about adult people, there are still ones who try to take advantage of others' patience. An employee who is late for work once or twice can be excused. If, however, he is consciously coming late every day, he needs to be pointed out that his habit is inappropriate and will not be tolerated any longer.

Finally, I believe that for a few people, who are responsible and have clear goals in their lives, the proposed way of education may work. But for others, this approach will only cause unnecessary complications, both for educators and for students.
Lenazh

Location: Russia

GRE essay: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore... #2 (permalink) Tue Jun 15, 2010 13:04 pm   GRE essay: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore...

———————————————

I strongly disagree that praising positive actions and ignoring negative ones is a reasonable approach for TO the educationAL process. The biggest problem of WITH this method is that someone's appraisal is usually not the only result of a person's deviant behavior. He may still have benefits of what he has done, if positive consequences of his deeds overweigh OUTWEIGH negative ones.

The education process for /every one/EACH/ of us starts in childhood. Children have little experience, so they do not know well rules that govern the world around them yet. They may not realize that if their parents forbid them to do something, it may be only because the action is dangerous. For example, some children can be stopped from sticking nails into a socket only by the fear of receiving a punishment from their parents.

Small children also do not know which behavior is appropriate in the society they are to live in. If they do not learn early that other people do not like certain typeS of behavior, the results of a conflict may be much more serious, than their parents' lecturing.

The main purpose of educators is to teach their students effectively. Students who are only beginning to study a subject, may not be able to estimate their progress themselves. In addition, if the teacher ignores their mistakes, they may believe it to be right in further FUTURE. This may interfere with their education and THEIR /practiceS/ACTIONS/ in the future.

Although university students are relatively responsible in general, there are still /ones/SOME/ who do not care much about studies. For example, one of my friends did not care about his marks(,) nor about HIS professors' opinions. It was possible FOR HIM TO DO THIS /mostly/MAINLY/ because nobody was going to actually fail him. Eventually, one of the professors failed him twice on a critical exam. My friend has only one try left, otherwise he /was/IS GOING/ to be expelled. Only t
This sad situation finally made him study and pass the exam.

What about adult people? There are /still ones/THOSE/ who try to take advantage of others' patience. An employee who is late for work once or twice can be excused. If, however, he is consciously coming late every day, he IT needs to be pointed out that his habit is inappropriate(,) and will not be tolerated any longer.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
A very well couched essay Lenazh.

Kitos. 8.5/10
_________________

GRE Test Preparation — Improve your Score with 750 free GRE Vocabulary TestsGRE Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise GRE scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportGRE Practice Tests — Learn the most essential GRE vocabulary words you need to pass the GRE with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card system
GRE essay: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore... #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 26, 2010 20:10 pm   GRE essay: The best way to teach is to praise positive actions and ignore...

———————————————
I partly agree with the statement above that one should praise positive actions and ignore negative ones. A kind word of praise definitely doesn't hurt the feelings of people but ignoring negative actions could have a perverse effect on people's demeanor.

Positive actions must be praised and if possible they must be rewarded. On the other hand negative actions must be censured or criticized in a gentle manner. I can think of an incident in my childhood when my younger brother who was in school had the habit of biting his nails. My parents at first noticed his ill habit but ignored it because his grades were excellent. Also he helped my mother in the kitchen with her work. My parents were greatly gratified by his actions both in school and at home. However, he was so loved that my parents failed to admonish my brother of his bad habit of biting his nails. His habit grew to such a ridiculous degree that when told by some of his friends of the harmful effects of nail-biting on his body, he ridiculed them. His care-free behavior eventually made him sick and he started suffering from stomach aches. My parents took him to the Doctor to get him treated and get a body scan report. The Scan report were appalling to all in our family. My brother had a dreadful disease inside him - stomach cancer.

Had my parents warned him about his bad habit of biting nails he would have stopped it long ago. My parents always praised him for every good thing he did. I concur with my parents since it motivates people and spurs them to do good. However, a warning is also essential because it makes things perfect. One must not hide the bad parts under the good ones. From that day onwards my parents realized their mistake and since then they have made their minds to caution their children whenever and wherever necessary. They will certainly not hesitate to make us aware of our mistakes or our bad demeanor.

Another example to cite is the 'Japanese way of living'. It is related to 'Continuous improvement' and teaches us 'make things right first time'. The underlying principle of this is to reward good deeds and correct bad ones the very first time they appear. Ignoring is not an option. This 'Japanese way of living' is lauded all over the world because it is the best way to teach. Evidence is clearly seen in the advancement in Technology the country has made in the past five decades. Other countries are also trying to adopt this concept and are trying to eliminate flaws in the governing, administration and education system.

To conclude, I shall reiterate that praising good actions clearly motivates people to do the good but criticizing bad actions is equally important. Bad actions should never be rebuked harshly because it could render people dejected. People like hearing a kind and polite word, whether it be of praising or criticizing.
Nachikey

ESL Forum | Preparation forum for the GRE® Test All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Latest topics on GRE Test Forums
Effect of UV rays on the population (GRE® argument)Some people believe that university students should be required to attend classesGRE® essay: A company has announced that it wishes to build a large factory nearGRE® essay: Media v/s Tourism (Issue)People should think of the possible consequences of their actionsHelp: Need to improve verbal from 420 to 550 in a monthIn the age of television, reading books is not as important as it once was...GRE® essay: The Squirrel Power video game (argument)GRE® essay: The citizens of Forsythe have adopted healthier lifestyles (argument)GRE® essay: National governments should devote more of their social programs...GRE® essay: United Motors trucks (argument)GRE® essay: Glenville Summer Concert (argument)GRE® essay:The purpose of education should be to create an academic environment...