not easily discouraged or defeated; unconquerable
indomitable
epicurean
sordid
anonymous

Not all learning takes place in the classroom

is it good to develop only one reason in the independent speaking questions? | Integrated reading/listening 1
Not all learning takes place in the classroom #1 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2010 17:35 pm   Not all learning takes place in the classroom

It has been said, "Not all learning takes place in the classroom." Compare and contrast knowledge gained from personal experience with knowledge gained from classroom instruction. In your opinion, which source is more important? Why?

Since the last century education has been one of the most important means of the society development. Virtually, education is gained not only at schools and universities, but also from everyday activities. Life itself is one of the best universities. However, knowledge obtained from universities is of another kind rather than one obtained from personal experience. When a person plans his future life he must recognize that these two ways of getting knowledge have some different properties and serve for different purposes.

When studying in a classroom a student can use the full power of education facilities and personnel. If a student has some difficulties in comprehension of a topic he can always seek advice from a tutor. A tutor will certainly help to a student with advices and explanations. Besides, a student can use laboratories and libraries of the university. However, the drawback of this approach is that a student does not study how to learn without help of other people. In contrast, when a person obtains knowledge from personal experience no one is to help him. Though obtaining knowledge without help of tutors and studying facilities will take much time and pains, it will payoff. This is because in future it will be easier for such individual to learn from everyday activities.

While research centers and universities tend to hire personnel with rich academic background; private companies, in contrast, much more appreciate knowledge gained from personal experience. In other words, if a person is planning to become a scientist, he should gain more knowledge from classroom instruction; and if a person seeks for careers in industry, he must mainly rely upon personal experience.

Knowledge obtained from personal background and knowledge gained from studies at universities should not be separated from each other. They are like two sides of a coin, and, likewise, any person must gain knowledge from both sources. However I would mainly rely upon knowledge gained from personal experience, because it will teach me how to grasp more knowledge and will help me to succeed in industry career.

TOEFL listening lectures: What aspect of Carl Sandburg's life does the professor mainly discuss?
Dmitriybch

Location: Russia

Not all learning takes place in the classroom #2 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2010 18:16 pm   Not all learning takes place in the classroom

Since the last century education has been one of the most important means factors fuelling of the developments in society development. Virtually, Education is gained not only IN schools and universities, but also from virtually every activity.
Life itself is one of the best universities. However, knowledge obtained from universities is of another kind rather than one obtained from personal experience. When a person plans his future life he must recognize that these two ways of getting knowledge have some different properties and serve for different purposes.

When studying in a classroom a student can use the full power of education facilities and personnel. If a student has some difficulties in his comprehension of a topic he can always seek advice from a tutor. A tutor will certainly help to a student with advice and explanations. Besides, a student can use THE laboratories and libraries of the university. However, the drawback of this approach is that a student does not study how to learn without help of other people. In contrast, when a person obtains knowledge from personal experience no one is THERE to help him. Though obtaining knowledge without help of tutors and studying facilities will take much time and pains, it will pay-off. This is because in future it will be easier for such individualS to learn from everyday activities.

While research centers and universities tend to hire personnel with rich academic back-groundS, private companies, in contrast, much more appreciate knowledge gained from personal experience. In other words, if a person is planning to become a scientist, he should gain more knowledge from classroom instruction; and if a person seeks A career in industry, he must mainly rely upon personal experience.

Knowledge obtained from personal background and knowledge gained from studies at universities should not be separated from each other. They are like two sides of a coin, and likewise, any person must gain knowledge from both sources. However I would mainly rely upon knowledge gained from personal experience, because it will teach me how to grasp more knowledge and will help me to succeed in MY industrIAL career.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good work Dmitriybch. You are doing better with each essay.

Kitos. 8/10.
_________________

TOEFL Prep Tests — Increase your Score with 120 free TOEFL Vocabulary TestsTOEFL Study Guide Guaranteed to Raise TOEFL scores without weeks and months of studying — View the Free ReportTOEFL Test Package — Learn the most difficult TOEFL vocabulary words you need to pass the TOEFL with these vocabulary tests and this unique flash card systemHere is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Not all learning takes place in the classroom #3 (permalink) Thu Jun 17, 2010 19:38 pm   Not all learning takes place in the classroom

Cheers!
Dmitriybch

Location: Russia

Not all learning takes place in the classroom #4 (permalink) Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:08 am   Not all learning takes place in the classroom

Could you, please, give me some explanations of these corrections so that I don’t make similar mistakes in furure?

1. “… important means of the society development …” --> “… factors fuelling of the developments in society …”.
What is wrong here? “means” = “method”. There can be “means of communication”, “means of transportation”. So why not “means of development”?

2. “Virtually, education is gained …” --> “Education is gained …”
“virtually” = “in fact”, “in real life”. Isn’t it? So what is wrong?

3. “no one is to help him” --> “no one is THERE to help him”
I meant “no one is going to help him”. It is correct to say: “I am to pay for this purchase” (= “I am going to pay for this purchase”). Why did you insert “there” in my phrase?
Dmitriybch

Location: Russia

Not all learning takes place in the classroom #5 (permalink) Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:25 am   Not all learning takes place in the classroom

Since the last century education has been one of the most important means factors fuelling of the developments in society development.

(Factors, meaning one of the things that has led to the development.)

1.“… important means of the society development " The sentence was poorly constructed, (IMO) and was altered to make your meaning more clear.

2. "VIRTUAL education is gained" ... not VIRTUALLY. In any case, the word was not needed to make your intention clear. Education is VIRTUAL.

3. "No one is to help him," could be construed that others are prohibited from helping him, whereas THERE adds the idea that he is alone, (voluntarily.)
_________________

Not all learning takes place in the classroom #6 (permalink) Fri Jun 18, 2010 18:55 pm   Not all learning takes place in the classroom

Things become clearer. Thanks.
Dmitriybch

Location: Russia

TOEFL® essay: the automobile is destroying our quality of life?Some businesses now say that no one can smoke cigarettes in any of their offices.Don't read it!Older people in an ageing populationjob selectionTraditional Schools vs...Integrated essay: In altruism behavior animal is responsible to stand against...Should college faculty also work outside the academic world?Some people prefer to work for a large company. Others prefer to work for a smallUniversities should support their students' sport activities or their libraries.integrated: jet streamsMoney: Many people believe that it is very important to make large amounts of...The expression “Never, never give up” means to keep trying and never stop working