harvesting machine
combine
readiness
editor
gymnasium

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

Human wants are regarded as unlimited but acutal wants are what? | What does 'stance' mean?
Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #1 (permalink) Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:19 pm   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

hello to you all,

Im a new user to this site and I already love it...you done a great job. Thank you...

I was surfing thru some tests and there is a question that I couldn’t really understand....

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", question 2

The cabin over there is free at the moment if you'd like to try on those clothes to see if they fit.

(a) cabin
(b) at the moment
(c) you'd like
(d) fit

Test No. errors/advan-8 "Admire his Achievement", answer 2

The cubicle over there is free at the moment if you'd like to try on those clothes to see if they fit.

Correct entry: cubicle
The error was: (a) cabin

the answer was that "cabin" should be replaced with cubicle"

I can't see the error, I think cabin is alright as much as cubicle is. I'd appreciate it if you can point the error to me...

Thanks, Abedd
Abedd

Cabin vs cubicle #2 (permalink) Sat Jul 10, 2004 14:57 pm   Cabin vs cubicle

Dear AMZ,

Many thanks for your positive feedback on Alan's tests and the site in general.
As for your question - a cabin is a small room on a ship or boat where people sleep.
Or it can be a small house built of wood.

A cubicle is small area set off by walls for special use, similar to a booth or stall.

So, in a department store you have cubicles where you can change clothes.

Hope this make sense, just let me know.

TOEIC listening, photographs: The lecture

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
AMZ #3 (permalink) Sat Jul 10, 2004 21:55 pm   AMZ

oh yes...now it does, Cheers mate, Abed
Abed

You're welcome #4 (permalink) Sat Jul 10, 2004 22:38 pm   You're welcome

You're welcome, Abed.

TOEIC listening, photographs: An airport terminal

Cabin vs cubicle #5 (permalink) Sat Mar 29, 2008 23:19 pm   Cabin vs cubicle

Torsten wrote:
Dear AMZ,

Hope this make sense, just let me know.

The word 'cubicle' sounds just as incorrect to my American ears as 'cabin' does. Is it your aim to test British usage exclusively?

The commonly used American expressions are rejected as being incorrect in this test question. 'Fitting room' and 'dressing room' are both used in the US:

When I hear the word 'cubicle', what springs to mind is something like this:

.
_________________

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #6 (permalink) Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:52 am   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

No comment?

The use of the word 'cubicle' in a context such as the test sentence sounds like nothing more than a learner error to my American ears. It brings visions of dressing and undressing at the office to mind. :shock:

Your test categorizes both of the commonly used American expressions as incorrect and instead accepts the (apparently) common British usage only -- an expression that only sounds incorrect to my ears.

Or is 'cubicle' actually wrong in BE, too?
.
_________________

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #7 (permalink) Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:20 pm   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

Hi Amy,

a small interposed question only You wrote When I hear the word ...; what springs to mind .......

I were interested in : Did you intentionally not mention that something springs to Your mind or is the pronoun commonly not used here? :?

Thanks in advance
Michael
_________________
"Ho ho!" said the clown
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #8 (permalink) Fri Apr 04, 2008 0:35 am   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

Hi Michael

The expression 'spring to mind' is relatively fixed, however you could add a possessive adjective.
_________________

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #9 (permalink) Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:25 am   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

Thanks for clarifying this issue, Amy

Michael
_________________
"Ho ho!" said the clown
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #10 (permalink) Sat Apr 12, 2008 13:55 pm   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

.
Perhaps it is far too difficult for Alan and Torsten to comprehend the American usage of the expressions 'fitting room' and 'dressing room'. Or perhaps they simply aren't willing to acknowledge that a difference in usage exists, and that 'cubicle' sounds wrong to American ears in this context.

The so-called "correct answer" in this test would be quite wrong on the American side of the pond.
.
_________________

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #11 (permalink) Tue Apr 15, 2008 18:37 pm   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

Any plans to fix this yet? ;) Who'd have believed that this could be so tough to accomplish?
correct sentence:

Correct entry: cubicle
The error was: (a) cabin

You have found the error but your entry is incorrect.
your sentence:
The fitting room over there is free at the moment if you'd like to try on those clothes to see if they fit.
This test told me "... your entry is incorrect." :shock:

In a nutshell, the problem is as follows:

- My entry is NOT incorrect. "Fitting room" is correct.
- The expression "dressing room" would also be correct in AmE.
- The "correct" entry (cubicle) sounds incorrect to me, but appears to be used this way in BE.

Here is some evidence provided by Webster's Dictionary. This should finally convince you that 'cubicle' really and truly sounds all wrong to American ears in the context of the test sentence: :lol:
cubicle
1: a sleeping compartment partitioned off from a large room
2 a: a small partitioned space; especially : one with a desk used for work in a business office

.
_________________

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #12 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:34 am   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

Dear Amy,

I can tell your riding your favourite hobbyhorse again. But let me assure you that I am fully aware of the volatile nature of both linguistic and political dimensions concerning this matter.

To my ears, cubicle sounds fine but slightly dated. Fitting room or changing room sound perfectly fine, but 'cabin' is what I'd expect (particularly in a swimming pool).

In any case, I'm sure that American English will take over more sooner than later. There's no stopping it, and no wars needed to be fought over it. In Britain and Ireland, people have already started using words such as 'awesome', 'bathroom', 'dude' and sometimes even 'sidewalk' when referring to 'incredible', 'toilette', 'mate' or 'pavement'. School kids are in doubt of whether to use an 's' or a 'z' in verbs like 'organise', and they spell colour without the 'u' and have the cheek to refer to a scientific internet source if corrected by their school teachers. Outrageous!

We all live in America, America is wunderbar!
_________________
Test of English as a Foreign Language
TOEFL Preparation & TOEFL Vocabulary
Learn more: How to Become an English Teacher
Ralf
Ralf Breheny

Location: the world

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #13 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:49 am   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

.
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you agree with me.
I'd also heard 'changing room' used, but I hadn't heard anyone use the word 'cabin' in a context such as the one in the test. I'm afraid you'll have to take that one up yourself with the author of the test. :wink:
.
_________________

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #14 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 22:57 pm   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

I have to agree with Amy,her in USA I hear dressing room, sometimes fitting room, but never cabin or cubicle... :)
I heard about log cabin by the lake, though... :) Cubicles are called the little spaces in offices around here.
I see there are big differences between AE and BE, I have Longman exams dictionary and it tells you what is used in AE and what is used in BE or both... I have to say that I like the sound of BE, altough I find it harder to pronounce than AE. They are both English, so no wars need to be fought as Ralf wrote. :)
I just hope and secretly believe that one day, when I am taking one of the tests in English ... that someone will close one of their eye and let me pass with my American English... :)
Gabriela
Gabriela

Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin? #15 (permalink) Wed Apr 16, 2008 23:02 pm   Cubicle! what's wrong with cabin?

Hi Gabriela,

Can you please tell us more about the big differences that you see between British and American English?

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture in social science class

What's the difference between a folktale and an essay?difference between dressing down and dressing upmeaning of "Come down with"thinking of buying vs. thinking to buydrew a line vs. painted a lineIs raise cain an idiom?Idiom: an arm and a legWhat is the meaning of 'smacking'?What does 'loose' mean?Idiom "lost his shirt"What word we could use instead of?Use of ago and since, for grade 3 students, in a very simple manner...Can you give me some useful english to start a sentence