Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

splendid; majestic; superb; glorious; impressive
level
magnificent
controlling
alert
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
My son hit a homerun last night! Wow! Good for him. | In many storybooks, witches cast evil spells onto unsuspecting victims.
listening exercisestell a friend
'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #1 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 16:01 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #288 "Basic Grammar Exercises (13)", question 5

My brother just ......... a new television.

(a) bought
(b) buy
(c) has bought
(d) buying

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #288 "Basic Grammar Exercises (13)", answer 5

My brother just bought a new television.

Correct answer: (a) bought

Your answer was: incorrect
My brother just has bought a new television.

Why not: has bought?
Thanks.
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #2 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 18:34 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

Because of the word "just", Saneta.
It would be correct if that weren't in the sentence, but the structure 'just has bought' isn't used. You need the simple past tense.
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #3 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 18:39 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

Ok Beeeseneees, but the following, another contruction exists:
My brother has just bought a new television.
Do you agree with me?
Thank You very much for your help:)
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #4 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 19:07 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

Yes, I agree. If that were the structure it would be fine.
Language Coach

'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #5 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 19:13 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

Dear Beeesneees,
shouldn't you write: If that was the structure it would be fine.
and: It would be correct if that wasn't in the sentence...?

Why did you write: were and weren't?
Thanks!
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #6 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 21:14 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

"Were" is the conjunctive form of the verb "be".
English has almost lost the conjunctive mood, only "be" still keeps its forms in "I were" and "he were".

It's a conditional tense - If that were the structure (but it isn't); if that weren't in the sentence (but it is).

The majority of native English speakers don't use it and "If that was..." is acceptable in all but the most formal/academic instances, these days.
Sorry if I confused you - I grew up using it and do so automatically.
Language Coach

'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #7 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 22:43 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

Quote:
"Were" is the conjunctive form of the verb "be".
Oops. I think the word intended was 'subjunctive', not 'conjunctive'.

I also use 'were' in type 2 conditional sentences, even in everyday casual conversation. There are still many people who do, but there are also many people who don't.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“The average politician goes through a sentence like a man exploring a disused mine shaft -- blind, groping, timorous and in imminent danger of cracking his shins on a subordinate clause or a nasty bit of subjunctive.” ~ Robertson Davies
Esl_Expert
I'm a Communicator ;-)

'just bought' vs 'just has bought' #8 (permalink) Sat Jun 19, 2010 23:16 pm   'just bought' vs 'just has bought'

Esl_Expert wrote:
Oops. I think the word intended was 'subjunctive', not 'conjunctive'.

'Oops' most certainly. Another 'malapropism' from Beees. I seem to keep doing that.

Thanks.
Not only for pointing it out, but also for doing so in such a friendly manner. :)
Language Coach

My son hit a homerun last night! Wow! Good for him. | In many storybooks, witches cast evil spells onto unsuspecting victims.
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Help me with these verseswhat does put forth mean?how use latest?Isn't going make it to the practice - what does it mean?pilot vs pilotsgreen urgly cotton or urgly green cottonbritish word for kisspast tense vs present perfectIdiom: Pin you hopes onWhat is the difference between "read" and "red"?Meaning of abideMeaing of Let sleeping dogs lieMeaning of everything in the garden is lovely