to look over; to observe; to examine carefully; to study
survey
complicate
dissipate
convince

Hobble vs stagger

What is the meaning of pace? | Cow come home
Hobble vs stagger #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:55 am   Hobble vs stagger

ESL/EFL Test #106 "Synonyms for stagger and walk", question 1

He was sad at the sight of the old woman ......... down to the store every morning.

(a) hobbling
(b) pacing
(c) striding
(d) staggering

ESL/EFL Test #106 "Synonyms for stagger and walk", answer 1

He was sad at the sight of the old woman hobbling down to the store every morning.

Correct answer: (a) hobbling
_________________________

I think It is very difficult.
where can I find explanation?
Kenyara

Hobble/stagger/stride/pace #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:04 am   Hobble/stagger/stride/pace

It’s all about using synonyms.
All these verbs suggest a way of walking but there is difference in the meaning.

The verb “hobble” means to walk or move along with difficulty, limp. It suggests a physical defect. It’s more like “limp”.
The verb “pace” means to walk back and forth moved by some strong, usually negative feeling, especially when you are angry, nervous or worried.
The verb “stride” means to walk with long steps; make a long step across something
The verb “stagger” means to move or stand unsteadily, most of the time drunk people walk like that.
Hope this helps!
Daniela

-------------------------------
Learn English with Daniela
_________________
English Language Learning Online
Learn English with Daniela
Daniela
Daniela Encheva

Location: Bulgaria

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Idiom: a paper bag full of moneyStray vs. wanderWhat is the meaning of willing?Meaning of rangeI would like someone to do somethingDifference between stagger and totterDifference between adapt and accomodateDifference between believe in and trust inVerb limp vs paceWhat does an apple of your eye mean?Meaning of strayMeaning of hands onWhat does to stray in the dark mean?