Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

profit; amount of assets that is higher than liabilities
surplus
site
honesty
puzzle
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of to the point of being sth

ESL/EFL Worksheets and Handouts for Students Printable, photocopiable, clearly structured
Designed for teachers and individual learners
For use in a classroom, at home, on your PC
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I would like someone to do something | Meaning of work
listening exercisestell a friend
Meaning of to the point of being sth #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 21, 2005 20:33 pm   Meaning of to the point of being sth

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #91 "Advanced Vocabulary", question 3

People often ask her how she manages to stay slim and she always tells them she is very careful in the amount she eats to the point of being ..........

(a) abbreviated
(b) abstemious
(c) actuated
(d) abrupt

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #91 "Advanced Vocabulary", answer 3

People often ask her how she manages to stay slim and she always tells them she is very careful in the amount she eats to the point of being abstemious.

Correct answer: (b) abstemious

Your answer was: correct

I'm not sure about the meaning of 'to the point of being sth.' Could you explain?

And why my name appears with 'eviga' in the and in the list?

Deya
Deya Eviga

To the point of being #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 21, 2005 21:37 pm   To the point of being

Hi Deya,

To the point of being means to the extent that she is. In other words she has taken her diet to such an extreme point that she has become abstemious.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
I would like someone to do something | Meaning of work
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Reading instead readDifference between 'my name is X' and 'this is X'Can i use your phone to call SO?Phrasal verb: walk bySentence meaningTo place an orderWhy not going homeWhy warrant does not fit hereSpelling for you whetherIdiom: a paper bag full of moneyStray vs. wanderWhat is the meaning of willing?Meaning of range